From phpbb to vb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From phpbb to vb

Hello, we are considering moving over from an existing phpbb to vb, how easy/hard would a migration of 38,000 members and a heavily pruned very hacked phpbb forum be?

Our forums are so heavily pruned now that I can't see that being an issue, but is the member count going to cause problems?
    Can anyone recommend a good phpbb to vbulletin migration script?

One final question, I have read that vbulletin uses less resources and causes less strain on an sql server than phpbb, is that true?

thanks for reading, any advice would be appreciated!

I don't know what is considered a "large" import by Jelsoft, the makers of vBulletin, but if you encountered a problem importing, you'd be able to get tech support here. phpBB -> vBulletin is VERY common -- probably the #1 import that people do.

Everything from the default install of phpBB comes over into vB including the Attachments mod. If you have made changes to the structure of the database, then you may have a problem importing. If you have added tables, then that data will simply be ignored. Most of the mods for phpBB are built into vBulletin and upgrading vBulletin is not a nightmare like phpBB because templates are stored in the database, and most mods you find for vBulletin are XML files you upload rather than code hacks which are difficult to maintain.

Once you purchase vBulletin, you get access to download ImpEx, which is a module that lets you import from over 30 different makes of forum software into vBulletin. You edit a configuration file, point it to your phpBB database, and it imports it into vBulletin. It's all very automated and you are given steps to finish the import.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X