Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Warpnow View Post
    Heh, I don't need support.
    You will always need support one day, during an upgrade, a server crash, a db move, etc...
    BPowers.com: Eu Web Hosting Solutions
    Shared hosting with Cpanel/Fantastico
    Live Help: http://www.bpowers.com

Comment

Wow, you mean college text books...possibly the most overpriced thing in the world...is cheaper than a script?

That's not much of a bragging point as 99% of text books cost 10 times what they're worth.
      My cousin paid MORE, not less. One book was $210.

Comment

all it takes is one crash from one of the "free" bulletin boards and you will be convinced that the cost is justified..

Comment

Originally posted by dchan View Post
          all it takes is one crash from one of the "free" bulletin boards and you will be convinced that the cost is justified..
          I don't know what "crash" you are referring to, because I've used SMF, phpBB and IPB 1.3 and none have ever crashed. Unless you are referring to ezBoard, which is slightly difference from the sense that it's remotely hosted and not self hosted.
          Forums

Comment

I'd agree. I've ran dozens of different forums.

You'd have to be an idiot to crash any of the popular forum softwares. I've never seen a real "crash", I've seen a slight bug due to my own scripting, but I'd never classify anything I've seen as a "crash".

Vbulletin is a great script, is it worth what is costs? To some, yes. To most? No.

Do I believe they could make more money with more licensing options? Yes, simply because they've cut themselves out of a huge part of the market price wise.

Comment

So because we are cheaper than every other option we are cutting ourselfs out of the market?

Comment

I'd agree. I've ran dozens of different forums.

You'd have to be an idiot to crash any of the popular forum softwares. I've never seen a real "crash", I've seen a slight bug due to my own scripting, but I'd never classify anything I've seen as a "crash".

Vbulletin is a great script, is it worth what is costs? To some, yes. To most? No.

Do I believe they could make more money with more licensing options? Yes, simply because they've cut themselves out of a huge part of the market price wise.
                There's other forum software that costs a lot more then vB. Example is UBBThreads. A friend's company just spent about $500 for a five year license for their software, although my friend recommended vB.

The math.

For 1 Year
                UBB Standard License = US$229, Renewal $125 (No support)
                vB Owned License = $160, Renewal $30 (Free support)

If you went for the Silver license like my friend's company did, it cost US$499 which gives you 5 years of member area access to grab new versions and only 3 hours support. The equivilant value here at vB would have been $280, which includes the initial license and 4 renewals plus you get free support.

Comment

IPB is more expensive for a owned license, that's the only reason I hate them, expensive-ness

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels View Post
                    There's other forum software that costs a lot more then vB. Example is UBBThreads. A friend's company just spent about $500 for a five year license for their software, although my friend recommended vB.

The math.

For 1 Year
                    UBB Standard License = US$229, Renewal $125 (No support)
                    vB Owned License = $160, Renewal $30 (Free support)

If you went for the Silver license like my friend's company did, it cost US$499 which gives you 5 years of member area access to grab new versions and only 3 hours support. The equivilant value here at vB would have been $280, which includes the initial license and 4 renewals plus you get free support.
                    Have you seen the latest version of ubb.threads, v7? It looks an awful lot like vB 3.6.

Originally posted by SNN View Post
                    IPB is more expensive for a owned license, that's the only reason I hate them, expensive-ness
                    The standard license is only more expensive for new customers. For current customers, it's actually cheaper by about $20/year.
                    Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                      So because we are cheaper than every other option we are cutting ourselfs out of the market?
                      I am sure there are some customers out there who are used to $10,000 turnkey solutions from Microsoft, IBM, etc. that will not even consider vBulletin, even though it is equally mature.

Comment

Originally posted by bjizzel View Post
                        I was wondering how come vbulletin is soo darn expensive? Is there any discounts or sales you guys have?
                        Are you kidding? No seriously... are you joking?

If vBulletin price went up to $1,000/year, I would still license it (really). Hell, I have a 2nd vBulletin license that I don't even run a forum on and I've always paid the annual support/upgrade fees because they are so cheap.
                        Sphinx Search for vBulletin 4: https://marketplace.digitalpoint.com...tin-4.870/item
                        Someone send me a message on Twitter when this site is usable again. https://twitter.com/digitalpoint

Comment

Originally posted by digitalpoint View Post
                          Are you kidding? No seriously... are you joking?

If vBulletin price went up to $1,000/year, I would still license it (really). Hell, I have a 2nd vBulletin license that I don't even run a forum on and I've always paid the annual support/upgrade fees because they are so cheap.
                          While I agree that the price isn't very expensive, what's a value to you may not be a value to someone else. No need to ridicule someone for asking why it's seemingly so expensive.
                          Forums

Comment

Thanks everybody for the kind feedback, it gives Jelsoft a good impression what customers are looking for when they come to our site. At this time we have no intention of changing our prices though.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X