Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Server Strain From Larger Threads

Hello,

Recently, I came accross a forum having a minor dispute over the amount of posts a thread can handle before it begins to become a strain on the server. I've been interested in starting up a board myself, so this intrigued me.

While I do agree that at some point, servers do start to feel that strain of having larger threads, how long do threads need to be before they typically become difficult to load?

I apologize for not taking in all variables into account, as I know little about forum software. If someone could enlighten me...?

It's really not the threads that put stress on the server, it's the number of users online and the amount of database usage.
    Student Zone - A community for students

Comment

Actually, there have been many discussions here about large threads being a problem. We're talking over 1,000 posts.

Comment

I never thought it was the threads. As the threads only show about 15 posts per page (configurable) and all the 1000+ is for pagination reasons in my opinion.

Comment

That is exactly the problem. Every time you display that thread, it tells MySQL to grab all 1,000 posts and then view the ones that the user is allowed to see (not posts in moderation, soft deleted, etc.) and THEN it takes the first 15 posts.

Comment

I'd like to know the answer to this too. I have a thread on my site with 44,000 posts and just recently the host has complained about my site taking too much resources. How do I find out if it's the thread or something else?
            Canadian Bodybuilding | Canadian Bodybuilding Forum

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X