License question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License question

I've read the license, and don't see anything that precludes it, but I'm wondering about the legality of incorporating vBulletin into a website where its not being resold, but where the vBulletin functionality basically becomes a component of the software.

As an example, let's say MySpace decided to use vBulletin as the backend. They need 100 servers to satisfy the load, so they buy 100 licenses, and set it up as the "MySpace Forums". Now its part of the "MySpace" product.

Is there anything wrong with that, as long as, in this example, they're not shipping any bits that include vBulletin, just providing a service at their site?

Second and tangential, would they need to keep any references to vBulletin, or could they completely rebrand it as the MySpace Forums in this example?

Thanks,
    Dave

Originally posted by davepl View Post
    As an example, let's say MySpace decided to use vBulletin as the backend. They need 100 servers to satisfy the load, so they buy 100 licenses, and set it up as the "MySpace Forums". Now its part of the "MySpace" product.
    I don't think they'd need 100 licenses as it's one installation of vB, the other servers would just be used as database server to even the load. So you would only need one license. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Originally posted by davepl View Post
    Second and tangential, would they need to keep any references to vBulletin, or could they completely rebrand it as the MySpace Forums in this example?
    If you don't buy the branding free option, you have to include all the copyrights.

Comment

How much is the brandfree option?

Comment

The 'branding free' license is available at a cost of $120 per license.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

they cost $120

this does not permit rebranding just the removal of the jelsoft copyright

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X