Ability to search attachment contents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ability to search attachment contents

I'd like to be able to index and search attachements such as ppt, pdf, doc, txt, xls. Is this possible?

Unfortunatly not

I hope this becomes available in future releases.

Comment

Floris: I hope you use your influence and make it happen maybe for 3.6.1 (if that were to come out) That would be a very interesting feature to have, as well as maybe the ability to have a seperate "forum" for attachments, so really a downloads section that stores/lists all of the recent attachments from the forum.

Comment

I tried torture, but the devs are quite persistent when it comes to deciding what goes in as a default feature or option, or not.

Comment

How would this work? You'd have to comment every picture and then search keywords no? So if it didn't have 100% user participation it'd be up to the admin to fill in keywords. Would be neat to have a built in gallery that is searchable and uses the attachments in the forum

Comment

search could be by filename for example (when it is stored in the database)

Comment

problem with search within files is that you need a complete file parser, and actually as it's just a .6 version and not a 4.0 version, i don't see why Jelsoft would add a library of like 500k to be able to read these formats...

maybe if you invest a lot of influence, you'd be able to have it for 4.0..
              oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

Originally posted by ZacUSNYR View Post
                How would this work? You'd have to comment every picture and then search keywords no? So if it didn't have 100% user participation it'd be up to the admin to fill in keywords. Would be neat to have a built in gallery that is searchable and uses the attachments in the forum
                You'll note that none of the file types mentioned by the original poster are image files but document files. He wants a text search within the content of the file.

There is an add-on search module for Joomla to search within the contents of PDF files.

Word, Excel, and PowerPoint are more complicated. There are PHP modules to read these files but it's inefficient and not widely in use. Maybe when Office 2007 comes out (I'm running the beta and really like it!) and the file formats of all M$ products are XML-based (Word '07 documents have a .docx extension) then search will be easy.

I suppose if there is a hook right after an attachment has been received and stored, one could write a Plugin to index that attachment.

Comment

Ehh my bad - selective reading

Comment