Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can vBulletin be SEAMLESSLY integrated into my site??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amatulic View Post
    I can't find documentation on cookies, though. Does vBulletin set one session cookie or multiple ones? Once cookie would make the most sense, accessed in php as $_SESSION['bbuserid'] and $_SESSION['bbpassword']. Also, does the password need to be encrypted somehow?
    vBulletin uses multiple cookies. We don't use PHP Sessions. vBulletin had a need for sessions before PHP supported them so it has just stayed that way.

There are hundreds of tutorials available to customers at www.vbulletin.org which explains all of this.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
      When the users login, you just write the session cookies to their computer
      (bbuserid and bbpassword) and they can be logged in automatically.
      To clarify, if I modify the login code on my site, spillsheet.com, to
      create a $_COOKIE['bbuserid'] and $_COOKIE['bbpassword'] (I assume the md5
      encrypted password) in the user's browser, my users will be automatically
      logged into the forum if they go to a forum page?

Also, do I need to include any other elements in the password hash (i.e.
      user salt, etc.)?

Thanks for your advice.
      Spillsheet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
        vBulletin uses multiple cookies. We don't use PHP Sessions. vBulletin had a need for sessions before PHP supported them so it has just stayed that way.
        That's too bad. I can't stand it when a site wants to set a bunch of unnecessary cookies that could be handled by a single session cookie using $_SESSION on the server end. I hope that can be changed in the future.

Anyway, on the basis of the replies here, I am now attempting to become a customer, but I am experiencing error messages using the corporate credit card. Will try personal card next.
        Originally posted by feldon23
        The API documentation is just a list. It doesn't actually explain anything or give any context for any of the functions and their interrelationships.
        What I saw had sufficient information to use the classes and methods. However, the functions were indeed just a list. -A

Comment

PHP class to perform vBulletin user maintenance operations

I just wanted to write a happy conclusion to this thread. Because my site already requires user accounts and logging in, I have written a PHP class that lets me integrate vBulletin into my site such that my site creates vbulletin accounts, modifies users, deletes users, logs them in, and logs them off.

I posted it over on vbulletin.org. You can find the article here:
          http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showp...0&postcount=69
          ...but you need to be a customer to view the source code.

-Alex

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X