X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good2laugh
    replied
    Originally posted by harmor View Post
    one way we could tell if the user is using a valid license is checking the directory
    That only lists sites where the owner of the licence has chosen the option to list. There is a yes/no option in the "edit licence" section of our member area. Plus some sites of an adult nature wouldn't be allowed to list there. My site isn't there, but they know I'm licensed.

Personally I wouldn't worry about the "how" IMHO we should just be glad they have the ability to readily check.

Leave a comment:

• KimmiKat
    replied
    Actually if a vB staff members tells you how it's done, you would have to be isolated on a deserted island for 5 years... Witn NO internet!

Leave a comment:

• harmor
    replied
    one way we could tell if the user is using a valid license is checking the directory

Leave a comment:

• Fusion
    replied
    Originally posted by xYarub View Post
    The specific files you download from vBulletin.com only work with one specific vBulletin license number. If the two do not match, it won't let you install it.
    For the record, it's the customer number which has to match, not the license number. One customer, several licenses (although, you do have to use the files from the correct license to comply with the license agreement, atleast for now).

Leave a comment:

• DJDarknez
    replied
    The specific files you download from vBulletin.com only work with one specific vBulletin license number. If the two do not match, it won't let you install it.
    that is incorrect.

Leave a comment:

• DJDarknez
    replied
    Originally posted by good2laugh View Post
    That's a bit poor isn't it. Just because an owner of a licence can't afford to renew membership subscription one year shouldn't stop them getting support. Its fair enough to not get the latest edition but a few words of advice never killed anyone. So a customer of 5 years gets a bit of bad luck and loses his job, has to prioritise bills so opts to not renew membership, then runs into a site problem and asks for advice....... so nobody would be willing to help him, wow very generous. Oh well, best hope to stay healthy and not lose our jobs
    Not necessarily. It doesn't have to be tied in to whether the license has expired or not. For instance...an owned license never expires, but you have to renew every year for the upgrades. But the license is still valid.

But with a leased license, the board is supposed to be shut down after a year if it's not renewed. If that admin is going against the TOS and running his board anyways, why should he get help?

Leave a comment:

• Wynand
    replied
    The specific files you download from vBulletin.com only work with one specific vBulletin license number. If the two do not match, it won't let you install it. As far as I know, vBulletin does not have a fool-proof system as that's entirely impossible the way it works. However, it's up to the community of vBulletin users to make sure there isn't any piracy.
    In which file?

Leave a comment:

• xYarub
    replied
    The specific files you download from vBulletin.com only work with one specific vBulletin license number. If the two do not match, it won't let you install it. As far as I know, vBulletin does not have a fool-proof system as that's entirely impossible the way it works. However, it's up to the community of vBulletin users to make sure there isn't any piracy.

Leave a comment:

• Wynand
    replied
    Originally posted by kurtbarker View Post
    I think it's in the post bit as well, even just a little 'tick' or similar to tellthe staff that a particular member is licenced... Then maybe clicking that icon will show the licence number and linked webaddress...

Just a guess
    10 bucks they can check it?
    Maybe not in one click but....

Leave a comment:

• kurtbarker
    replied
    I think it's in the post bit as well, even just a little 'tick' or similar to tellthe staff that a particular member is licenced... Then maybe clicking that icon will show the licence number and linked webaddress...

Just a guess

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    I didn't think it was targeted towards renewals so much as people who have never purchased the software asking for help.

Leave a comment:

• good2laugh
    replied
    Originally posted by DJDarknez View Post
    I kinda like how photopost.com does it, with a "verified customer" thing underneath the avatar. That way we know who NOT to help
    That's a bit poor isn't it. Just because an owner of a licence can't afford to renew membership subscription one year shouldn't stop them getting support. Its fair enough to not get the latest edition but a few words of advice never killed anyone. So a customer of 5 years gets a bit of bad luck and loses his job, has to prioritise bills so opts to not renew membership, then runs into a site problem and asks for advice....... so nobody would be willing to help him, wow very generous. Oh well, best hope to stay healthy and not lose our jobs

Leave a comment:

• derfy
    replied
    My guess is license details reside in the postbit. Only viewable for select members, of course.

Leave a comment:

• Wynand
    replied
    Originally posted by harmor View Post
    I bet Jelsoft has a database. Within that database is our site and license number plus other stuff. So Steve Machol goes to xenweb.net then he uses a form that only he can access and types in my site. If my site is in the database it should return something. If it is not then it won't return anything.
    Wise guy

Leave a comment:

• harmor
    replied
    Originally posted by Wynand View Post
    I bet there is a very easy way, dunno it still works on new versions, but for IPB there was a time you could add something like ./? to the URL, that gave the license number (not the install number).
    I bet vB got something like that...
    I bet Jelsoft has a database. Within that database is our site and license number plus other stuff. So if Steve Machol wants to check if xenweb.net is legit. He uses a form that only he and some other staff can access and types in my site. If my site is in the database it should return something. If it is not then it won't return anything.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X