Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few pre-sales questions

Hi - I have some general questions.

1. In the user CP, can I have bigger field sizes for "additonal infomation". ie: so members can input say 500 word biographies?

2. In the user CP, can I add an extra field (or amend say the Skype field and label) to hold a telephone number say?

3. Can I set the front page so the "last post" column is OMITTED?

4. Can I put "anouncements" on the very front page of the forum?

5. In the member's list view, can I omit some columns and add a user picture column?

Generally, I would like to know how to adapt vBulletin for my own requirements - not sure where in this site I can find out about this. ie: I can use Java/HTML etc??

Thanks

Originally posted by Frank Jones View Post
    1. In the user CP, can I have bigger field sizes for "additonal infomation". ie: so members can input say 500 word biographies?
    You can choose the maximum allowed characters.
    2. In the user CP, can I add an extra field (or amend say the Skype field and label) to hold a telephone number say?
    I'm not sure about this one, but i think you can as well as add a field.
    3. Can I set the front page so the "last post" column is OMITTED?
    I believe you can.
    5. In the member's list view, can I omit some columns and add a user picture column?
    You can choose whatever columns come up on that list.
    Generally, I would like to know how to adapt vBulletin for my own requirements - not sure where in this site I can find out about this. ie: I can use Java/HTML etc??
    Skin templates are in HTML, so basicly anything that will work on a regular HTML page will work with vB.

Comment

Thanks - can I also make alterations using Java? I thought I saw someting on this.

Sorry - Java etc. not really my field at all.

Comment

Originally posted by DelphiVillage
        how can tis be "pre sales" questions when you already have the software ?
        What makes you think he already has the software?

I'm curious about the answer to his java question also
        http://www.netcookingtalk.com/forums/

Comment

thanks all answers

Comment

Originally posted by Orp View Post
            What makes you think he already has the software?

I'm curious about the answer to his java question also
            in the "usercp"
            in the "memberlist view"

but he can see that here to sorry to be paranoid

if you know enough Java then can use it to make changes for example the wysiwyg editor from woltlab burning board is made using a java applet ...

pretty simple actually

HTML Code:
            <applet code="MyJavaClass.class" widdth="somenumber" height="somenumber">
            <param name="parameter1" value="value_here">
            </applet>

Comment

Hi - I have some general questions.

You can add all the extra profile fields you want.
              However I would highly recommend that you NOT have people list their phone #'s in their user CP for privacy and security purposes.
              Peggy
              ~ normal is overrated ~

One Buzy Mama!

Comment

Thanks for the phone number advice - but it's an internal company forum - so just company numbers.

Can someone explain (in simple English ) the different ways that vBulletin can be altered - apart from the straight-forward options via the admin panel.

So far it seems:

HTML
                Java
                PHP

I'm really lost on these - and some simple descriptions would be great. Roughly - what sort of things can be achieved with each?

Thanks again.

Comment

What exactly do you want to alter?
                  The style/layout of all the pages can be adjusted in the Style Manager. This is in XHTML/CSS.
                  Any text can be adjusted in the Language/Phrase Manager. This is plain text, sometimes with a bit of HTML.
                  vBulletin itself is visual source, so you can also adjust any of the code if you wish. It's coded in PHP with a MySQL database on the backend. Some things are written in JavaScript/DOM.
                  Best Regards
                  Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Perfect Colin - that's just what I needed to know.

There may be a couple of things I would like to alter at a deeper level - ie: when you view a specific day in a calander, then the calendar entries are not in time order - rather in entry order.

Plus if you enter an appointment that conflicts with another - you get no waning?

Would both of these require PHP work? Thanks.

Comment

Yes, both would require modification of the PHP code.
                      Best Regards
                      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Thanks folks - am eventually getting round to purchasing the sw!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X