Upgrading...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading...

I want to switch from phpBB to vBulletin because of all the additional / large community vBulletin has. Couple questions I have are:

- Is it EASY to customize the look of vBulletin? phpBB just used Smarty-inspired .tpl files..
    - Are hacks/mods easy to implement (I am a PHP programmer, but still...)
    - If I install some hacks for vBulletin, then what happens with upgrading to a newer version?

vBulletin uses a built in template and CSS style manager system which is very easy to use and is all controlled via the admin control panel.

Modifications are easy to implement as the majority of them can be done through the plugin syetm that vBulletin uses.

The majority of plugins (unless the hook location changes) work when you upgrade versions of vBulletin.

You can have a look at the style manager and plugin system in the Admin Demo
    Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

Originally posted by kandieman101 View Post
      - Is it EASY to customize the look of vBulletin? phpBB just used Smarty-inspired .tpl files..
      Upload skin files, run the skin .xml and you're done. You can further customize the skins by editing template HTML which are all categorized very well and are easy to find.
      - Are hacks/mods easy to implement (I am a PHP programmer, but still...)
      Mostly depends on the hack. Usually its Upload, edit files, edit template. Some mods can install themselves through the plugin manager.
      - If I install some hacks for vBulletin, then what happens with upgrading to a newer version?
      Most of the time you keep most of the hacks. Some won't work because of issues in the new version.

Comment

I went from PHPBB to VB a while back, havn't noticed a big difference, implementing mods are generally the same "feel" i didn't have a big learning gap at all between modifying either. I just found phpbb needs a lot more modifying to get the default vb features, and even then your short a lot.

Comment

I came from phpbb - at first vbulletin was weird and didn't make much sense. I tried to use PhpBB for another project and just bought another license of vBulletin - it's just so much easier.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X