Small sites

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small sites

I use vBulletin on my main home page, and I realy like it, and would like to use it for smaller gaming groups, gaming guilds, etc. Yet, I found out that both $85 and $160 can be expensive, since members of such clans / groups are mostly students, and they don't want to invest *any* money into such sites, and with a few games (and guilds) the costs for the software would add up.

I think if they would use vBulletin, they would want to use it later on bigger projects, would want the same features elsewhere. But of course I find no way to finance this, with $160 and $85 licences.

Is there any chance of seeing server licences (even if they are limited for nonprofit use or anything) anytime soon?

Why do we want vBulletin?
    1. It is time consuming to stay up to date with multiple forum software, and I realy like vBulletin
    2. The wysiwyg editor makes copy + paste easier and for this use it is an important feature
    Why a single installation isn't enough?
    1. Naming conflicts (who said someone in a DAOC guild can't have the same name as someone in a WoW guild?)
    2. Integration (with eqdkp, phpraid, etc) would be much harder.
    EnerlaNET / Elven Library forums (Roleplaying games, Gaming, irc, Cartography) - Owner / Admin
    Cartographer's Corner blog (Maps, Cartography Tutorial, Campaign Cartographer related advice) - Author

AFAIK there are no plans to create 'server licenses' in the near future and even this this would be considered the price would likely be out of your range anyway. Sorry.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

And where can I look for any other solution to the problem (both vBulletin based or other)? I think, if the naming conflict can be solved, the rest would solve itself. Since the separataion of forums aren't desired (in fact it is an unwanred side effect*) if the naming conflict would be solved somehow, it would be much better... (and it would be a single site so single licence?)

Should I try to ask in 3.5 / 3.6 support forum about this naming problem?
      I had some ideas but don't know if they are workable. The best idea would use custom profile fields for character names, but due too many games for the small member base it would be best to make such profile fields group specific, and display them above posts (where the username is in most cases) on guild / group forums. And a better organized group CP.

Also if we have to use another software for such mini forums, is there any way to automatically add events of these guilds to the calendar in vBulletin?

And about the price tag: the current candidate for these guild/group forums if they can't be handled with vbulletin costs more than vbulletin if licenced per web site (with sources), but their single server licence is affordable.

* unwanted side effects, because a party of 5 would create almost no traffic and no content, with a single big forum with many subforums, they would have a much better solution.
      EnerlaNET / Elven Library forums (Roleplaying games, Gaming, irc, Cartography) - Owner / Admin
      Cartographer's Corner blog (Maps, Cartography Tutorial, Campaign Cartographer related advice) - Author

Comment

I'm not sure what you are asking exactly. Sorry.

Each license is good for one installation of vBulletin, i.e., one set of vB files on one domain with one set of vB database tables. As per the license agreement:

"vBulletin license grants you the right to run one instance (a single installation) of the Software on one web server and one web site for each license purchased. Each license may power one instance of the Software on one domain. For each installed instance of the Software, a separate license is required. Modifications to the software or database to circumvent the one-license-one-board rule are prohibited."

You can view the license agreement here:
        http://www.vbulletin.com/order/license_agreement.php

Note: Integrating vB with other non-vB applications requires custom coding. You can ask for help with that at www.vbulletin.org.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

I think he wants to do what i initialy was thinking that is still technically "legal". Have sub forums on his main site and then just have a URL re-direct to that subforum directly. But people can still go back to the main page. But wants to overcome the fact that others may have the same user name. So one from Forum A has a username, but someone from Forum B uses the same username for their "video gaming" name, and wants them to co-exist on that one forum.

Honestly if your just using it for a gaming guild use PHPBB or just deal with the one username thing. I only find vb useful for medium - extremly large sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Tigurius View Post
            I only find vb useful for medium - extremly large sites.
            I don't agree. vBulletin offers things that the free boards don't have, so vBulletin is extremely useful no matter the size. As an example; I use vBulletin for an internal board where there's 10 users. No more.

These 10 people have revolutionized the way they work all thanks to the features vBulletin offers out of the box.
            Toddler from Hell

Comment

Let me explain it:

Under my main forum, there would be a category for MMORPGs and Online RPG groups, under these category there would be one forum for each game type, and under this one subforum for each gaming group / guild / clan... Most game sessions / guild events would be posted to the main calendar.

Users can see the whole forum, and each guild / group site would link to the specific subforums directly, it is pretty much a standard setup for vbulletin.

Also each and every gaming group / guild would be an usergroup for added permission control, which is still fine by licence.

Now comes the hard part: To be able to display character names as poster name, I would need some plugins / hack / custom coding.

How it is possible?

Either use some custom profile field instead of user name in postbit template if exists, otherwise a prefixed username. Doable with template system. But for this I would need a good management for such profile fields (link them to groups somehow), and would need to find a way to modify login bridges to use this field as user name in other apps I would integrate, and also I would have to make sure they are usergroup aware and can use additional usergroups not only primary usergroups (heavy coding), and would have to modify usercp to categorize usergroups (or hide the list of non member groups with template, and just post links to join the groups on the forum for specific game) and make a good set forms for managing the custom profile fields (character names) instead of asking for all of them in usercp... As you see it is a lot of work, and still haven't solved everything (needs far more thinking) but as you see it fits within 1 copy of files, database, no separation, etc.

If there would be a server licence, it would be a bit different, and it would be long to explain it, but the end result would look almost the same, but with some parts of database duplicated... (so it would require multiple licences now)

For the price tag issue: Since an online RPG group can have 3-10 members on average, an MMORPG guild can have up to 50 member, and a single player can be member of multiple groups (3-5 is reasonable) you can guess how many licences a 250-300 members would require, and why it is too high. (around 50-100 copies would be needed, and it wouldn't be a too big community...)

Tigurius: I realy don't like phpBB, I had used it for many years, so I know it, but I know how "secure" it is, and it lacks several key features, like wysiwyg editor. And its support isn't best. If I would have to use something free and php, I would go for SMF... But we are looking after some ASP.NET based solutions, with wysiwyg editor included. Found some decent solutions, both free and comercial.

Comment

It would take some modifications, yes, there's no way to avoid that no matter which system you choose. The fact remains, the actual username can never be the same, you'd have to use a custom profile field and make sure it is displayed either in place of or in addition to the username. Using prefixes could work, but it would be messy at best. I suggest you take the time and do the work needed to use a profile field for the character's names. It will be the cleanest approach, by far.
                Toddler from Hell

Comment

Ok your right, i do have a small site and its still extremly useful, it really depends on what you need the site to do. But generally speaking, if your site generates no money and probably never will, stick to free unless its a hobby of yours. I just happen to hate other forum software and happened to work with vbulletin once for someone, LOVED IT, and still love it, and is why i now have 3 license! ... even though only one site is popular lol.

Originally posted by Fusion View Post
                  I don't agree. vBulletin offers things that the free boards don't have, so vBulletin is extremely useful no matter the size. As an example; I use vBulletin for an internal board where there's 10 users. No more.

These 10 people have revolutionized the way they work all thanks to the features vBulletin offers out of the box.

Comment

Tigurius: This is why I tend to think, free or server licenced. Why? For large boards a server licence isn't effective, since a single board runs on several servers, so you would pay far more. For medium sized forums, it could offer some small advantage, and it is realy feasible only for small sized boards.

The other candidate for this project is more expensive than vBulletin (if you want sources) for single page licences, but they have an affordable single server licence (at the costs of about 3 single page licences), they also have other licences...

Comment

Originally posted by Tigurius View Post
                      Honestly if your just using it for a gaming guild use PHPBB or just deal with the one username thing. I only find vb useful for medium - extremly large sites.
                      The classic video gaming guilds are less problematic, since they are bigger, the problem is when you have D&D (or other roleplaying game) sessions in a chat room, for extended time. Why? Because you need wysiwyg editor, and if you look around, you won't find too many forum software with a such editor.

From php based solutions: vBulletin is the only one I know.

ASP.NET based solutions need a windows server, which already has some licence fees for the OS, and most good candidates are comercial (but they tend to offer an affordable / server licence)

As you can guess: A such group has about 4-6 players, most players play in multiple groups. Buying a licence for each group is clearly out of question, due to very high number of groups, and our other options.

Comment

If you are looking for a cheap solution with limited number of members, simply request members to use a prefix for each domain/sub-board.

Since you are only talking about limited numbers of users (hmm how big is the chance of a duplicate in case of limited numbers, is this really needed?) you could easily edit the few registrations that forgot to prefix their name.

Ofcourse you could try to automate this scenario with modifications, but i think they would have to be custom written and will probably cost you money.
                        Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                        Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

Sadly most players tend to use the same names, they have seen in novels, rulebooks, etc. and this makes the duplicate names scenario a nightmare This is why I look at options to eliminate this problem

Most of the registrations will be handled at admin side, after the new members completted a longer "survey" with some information.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X