Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invision v vBulletin

Hi Guys,

I`m just about getting fed up with the security issues with the IPB board that I think its time to change to vBulletin board. Even with the latest release, my board still gets easily hacked. Its getting to be a pain. v2.1.6 sucks, just like their previous releases and they can forget me upgrading to 2.1.7.

So, is vBulletin as buggy as IPB? Thats my main concern. If it is, I`m just going to close the forum down or maybe go for something smaller like miniBB, which appears to be fine. Seems to me that the more features these boards implement, the worse they get.

What do you think? Is vBulletin a hackers paradise or is it better?

Many thanks,
    David.

I have had vbulletin running for about 4 years on one of my anime sites. We have had no issues AT ALL. And we were using a significantly outdated version. I recently decided to fork the cash over and upgrade to the latest release, and honeslty sticking with vbulletin was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

I would suggest this forum to anyone.

Comment

We take security very seriously and do the best we can to ensure that vBulletin has no security holes. And when we become aware of a security issue we generally provide patches and updates within 24 hours of confirming a problem.

Unfortunately security issues are a fact of life with online software. While we work hard to avoid and eliminate security issues, we cannot guarantee that our software is completely free from bugs or security issues.

However as our record shows, we aggressively track and fix any security issues as soon as they become known to us.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

i've tried vBulletin 3.5.4 and IPB various version and vBulletin, in my opinion, is the best board!

A Admin Control Panel at the state of art

Comment

Unfortunately security issues are a fact of life with online software.

Very true Steve, but what gets me is Invision keep saying they have corrected these issues, but they keep re-appearing. Maybe hackers have gripes with them to want to keep exploiting their software?

Thanks for the heads up anyway, it does seem that vBulletin is the better software.

Comment

Originally posted by carella View Post

Very true Steve, but what gets me is Invision keep saying they have corrected these issues, but they keep re-appearing. Maybe hackers have gripes with them to want to keep exploiting their software?

Thanks for the heads up anyway, it does seem that vBulletin is the better software.
            Only vB exploit I've seen recently was a bad input data cleaning on vbulletin.com itself. I'm not aware of any other security issues and I've never been hacked since 2001.

Comment

You will find that they are trying to exploit vulnerabilities in PHP, not the forum software itself.

Comment

Originally posted by poolking View Post
                You will find that they are trying to exploit vulnerabilities in PHP, not the forum software itself.
                That's why you make sure it's secure.

If vBulletin were to use eval(include($_GET['malicious_code'])); would it be PHP's fault for allowing 'eval' and 'include' to execute php code from an outside source or vBulletin's for even writing that?
                Last edited by harmor; Sat 15 Jul '06, 1:29am.

Comment

Well, different hackers have their different agendas, so its a mixture of both.

Ok, well I`ll go for the 'Owned Licence' and see if things improve.

Thanks.

Comment

Welcome, carella, and good luck!
                    Toddler from Hell

Comment

Well, different hackers have their different agendas, so its a mixture of both.

Ok, well I`ll go for the 'Owned Licence' and see if things improve.

Thanks.
                      Hey,
                      Main thing is you need to make sure that your admins are trusty (if you have other admins). Second you nede to make sure your server your on itself is safe from hackers. If the server is a problem then youll never be safe no matter what you use. Last thing is you need to make sure that if you install mods (hacks) then you need to make sure that they are safe as well.

Hope that helps

Comment

Good luck with your new software, i'll think you find that vBulletin pwns IPB in ever way possible, sure the admin CP is a little confusing at first but its a masterpiece when you realise what everything does.

i two was in two minds in whether to go with IPB or vBulletin.

IPB is actually more expensive yet offers less than vB does and vB is a little cheaper.

In my own experience i'm still quite new to paid versions of software and hosting and i have to say i went over to IPB to ask them since i used to own an infisionfree forum, and i really liked it, so IPB kinda had a little lead, though when i got to the support forum the admins were...well useless, i go for software that has excellent support and vB has THE best support ever,

its unbelievable how many times Colin F has saved my ass from myself.

secondly vBulletin sounds proffesional and as it sounds IS very proffesional. its better looking and well coded, and i love it. i think investing in an OWNED liscence would be the best thing i ever did. sure IPB offers free upgrades with their liscences but i'd sooner pay to upgrade every year than have a crappy board thats got security holes in.

Let me tell you this, vBulletin support as well as its software are the best i've come across and i'm sure the members at vB as well as most places will tell you the same.

Also the vB support team is fast to respond and they know everything, so there no need to worry if you get stuck.

IF thats not enough then i did some research before i bought my vB board, since forums i used to go on all used vB i kinda took a shine to it. and my research into BIG boards proved that the majority of HUGE forums are ran off vBulletin software. so it must be good.

sure the price does sound a little expensive but like i always say, you get what you pay for and i would gladly pay to get vB....since it offers much more than what you pay for.

good luck with your boards!
                        Colin F is my hero!

Comment

Originally posted by Neo_Angelo View Post
                          Good luck with your new software, i'll think you find that vBulletin pwns IPB in ever way possible, sure the admin CP is a little confusing at first but its a masterpiece when you realise what everything does.

i two was in two minds in whether to go with IPB or vBulletin.

IPB is actually more expensive yet offers less than vB does and vB is a little cheaper.

In my own experience i'm still quite new to paid versions of software and hosting and i have to say i went over to IPB to ask them since i used to own an infisionfree forum, and i really liked it, so IPB kinda had a little lead, though when i got to the support forum the admins were...well useless, i go for software that has excellent support and vB has THE best support ever,

its unbelievable how many times Colin F has saved my ass from myself.

secondly vBulletin sounds proffesional and as it sounds IS very proffesional. its better looking and well coded, and i love it. i think investing in an OWNED liscence would be the best thing i ever did. sure IPB offers free upgrades with their liscences but i'd sooner pay to upgrade every year than have a crappy board thats got security holes in.

Let me tell you this, vBulletin support as well as its software are the best i've come across and i'm sure the members at vB as well as most places will tell you the same.

Also the vB support team is fast to respond and they know everything, so there no need to worry if you get stuck.

IF thats not enough then i did some research before i bought my vB board, since forums i used to go on all used vB i kinda took a shine to it. and my research into BIG boards proved that the majority of HUGE forums are ran off vBulletin software. so it must be good.

sure the price does sound a little expensive but like i always say, you get what you pay for and i would gladly pay to get vB....since it offers much more than what you pay for.

good luck with your boards!
                          Totally agree with the above and I think the price is fine. Good work vBulletin! I will not use anything else, it's just so reliable and the support is fast, to the point, and helpful.
                          [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

This topic has been exhausted, if there are any more pre-sales questions please let me know.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X