About to buy, Question regarding domain changes & license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to buy, Question regarding domain changes & license

I am about to buy another VB license for another one of my forums (already own one for another forum) which I will be converting from PHPBB.

I have a question about the license. I want to setup the new VB forum away from my PHPBB while I convert the database over, remake skins, install hacks, test etc.. rather than edit the live version.

Idealy, I would like to run the VB on a different domain (same server though) while I am doing the changeover. eg PHPBB and will be final location www.realdomain.com, setting up and conversion domain www.setupdomain.com.

Obviously in my license when I setup VB I will have to mention that the URL is www.setupdomain.com. Will I have a problem (licensing wise) when I take the setupdomain.com files live when i change the domain name to realdomain.com?

Yes, the license agreement allows you to set up a test board:

"If you have a valid license, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our license verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public."
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

So when I setup the test board, do I enter setupdomain.com or realdomain.com as the URL I am going to use it with?

Comment

The test board needs real domain just like a live board does.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Hi steve I am a bit tight for disk space ...Is it permissable to run a test forum on a different domain ( ie a different hosting package) If it is still not accessable to the public??
          Boards IrEland
          TopLists-add your site

Comment

Beller, in very simplified explaination, you can do this.

1) when purchasing and assigning your license, enter realdomain.com for your license.
            2) when importing etc. create a new folder / domain for your hosting, and make it password protected (via .htaccess or alike option in your hosting control panel, or contact support for it)
            3) after everything is ready, move everything to realdomain.com and you're off to go.

You can keep the setupdomain.com and installation for as long as you want, as long as it is password protected and not accessable by anyone other than your staff, used only for testing hacks/templates etc. (not as a private discussion board, for example)
            Best Regards,
            Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by Beller View Post
              Hi steve I am a bit tight for disk space ...Is it permissable to run a test forum on a different domain ( ie a different hosting package) If it is still not accessable to the public??
              Yes, that's fine.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                Yes, that's fine.
                Cheers Steve.
                Boards IrEland
                TopLists-add your site

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X