Questions before I purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions before I purchase

I am seriously considering starting a forum / Message Board. However my computer skills are VERY basic.

For the last few years I have been a member of a forum that uses v-bulletin and I think it works great!!!

Having lurked here for a while I am comfortable (I hope) being able to down load v-bulletin.

Would you please let me know if I'm on the right track with these priorities and are they in the right order?

1) Obtain a forum domain name
    2) Obtain a web host (like ASO)
    3) Purchase v-bulletin
    4) Down load V-bulletin to my computer - Make the design, Labels, headers and forum body etc.... ** How much space does it take on my computer??
    5) Then transfer everything to my webhost?????

Cost are: V-bulletin software and license
    Webhost monthly costs
    My time and sweat equity

Would I be better off having someone set the whole thing up and then take over as administrator???

What would a going rate be for someone responsible to hook me up????

Originally posted by dmeister View Post
    I am seriously considering starting a forum / Message Board. However my computer skills are VERY basic.

For the last few years I have been a member of a forum that uses v-bulletin and I think it works great!!!

Having lurked here for a while I am comfortable (I hope) being able to down load v-bulletin.

Would you please let me know if I'm on the right track with these priorities and are they in the right order?

3) Purchase v-bulletin
    4) Down load V-bulletin to my computer - Make the design, Labels, headers and forum body etc.... ** How much space does it take on my computer??

Cost are: V-bulletin software and license
    Webhost monthly costs
    My time and sweat equity

Would I be better off having someone set the whole thing up and then take over as administrator???

First of all, it's great that you've chosen to set up a board.
    I too think it's fun to have an own website(though I do not have that at the moment).

vBulletin is a great software, which I've learned when beeing second admin of a board powered by vBulletin.

However, I think you've got the list a little wrong(of course this is MY oppinion of what's the best).

1) Check out webhosts.
    This is because several webhosting services offers domain aswell.
    2)Get domain.
    Only if your webhost didn't provide you with it.
    3)Get vBulletin.
    Now that you've gotten your domain and your host, you can buy your board, and set it up on your webhost.
    4)Buy a skin.
    When you've set up your vBulletin board, you could buy a skin. I would recomend you to buy your first skin, and then later when you got some knowledge, you could try making your own skin.
    5)Modifications!
    Mods, what can I say. A board without mods, is like a body without a soul. You need mods to make your board customized and personal. Also, depending on what your board will be about, there are mods to make it better. Such as, if your board is about gaming, there is a RPG modification.
    Why didn't we add mods before, you may ask?
    Answer: Because some mods requires SKIN EDITED. When you added your skin, you got a new skin. So make sure you add mods AFTER you've added your skin that you will use.
    Good luck!

Comment

2 very important things you forgot (these would be things to do right after completion of set-up)... SKINS and MODIFICATIONS.

Skins:

You can download skins from www.vbulletin.org or you can buy them (Search on Google).

Mods:
      You can also download mods from www.vbulletin.org. What is a mod, you might ask? A mod is a little tweak/hack to make your forum more exciting (i.e. Shoutbox, Arcade). Those are free, usually, and can be found as I mentioned at www.vbulletin.org

Moving on to your list!

Might I recommend Yahoo!Domains?

Might I recommend SiteFlip?

3) Purchase v-bulletin
      Yeah. 85 USD for a lease (I recommend if you are unsure about your forum's possible success)

Not much at space at all. Note that you can download some pretty nice styles at www.vbulletin.org. All the labels and stuff come with the download, so there is minimal work there.

Right. You're going to want to use SmartFTP Client v2.0. Note that before you upload all of the files you have to edit a couple (VERY IMPORTANT!).

Cost are:
      V-bulletin software and license
      Webhost monthly costs
      My time and sweat equity
      Don't forget the cost of the domain!

No. But I am willing to work through it with you! I had LOADS of trouble, and to be honest, you might too. Appears you had about the same knowledge I did. I can provide you with unofficial forum/possibly phone support.

It's like 135.00 USD for vBulletin to do it for you. I can help you for free.

If you have any questions please PM me here or email me at [email protected]. I administrate www.hpinaction.com

I wish you the best of luck if I do not hear from you!
      Last edited by SiriusBlack22; Sun 9th Jul '06, 12:43am.

Comment

I can not realisticly in any good faith even think about mentioning a host lie siteflip, their plans are unrealistic and it would not be in your best intrests to buy hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
          I can not realisticly in any good faith even think about mentioning a host lie siteflip, their plans are unrealistic and it would not be in your best intrests to buy hosting.
          Really? I thought they were decent! But, can you point me to some better ones Zachery? I'd like to switch when I'm done there... that won't affect alot of my vBulletin will it? I think it might...

Anyways, they do have excellent support though!

Comment

Originally posted by SiriusBlack22 View Post
            Really? I thought they were decent! But, can you point me to some better ones Zachery? I'd like to switch when I'm done there... that won't affect alot of my vBulletin will it? I think it might...

Anyways, they do have excellent support though!
            Problem with them is.

You get a VERY large chunk of storage, even on a 80/160GB harddrive.
            They give you 1/3 - 1/5th of the average shared hosts total alloted bandwidth.
            How do they intend to pay for a 80-100 USD server with only 3-5 clients @ 8 bucks a peice.?

Comment

Site 5 is good we use them. support is great also

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                Problem with them is.

You get a VERY large chunk of storage, even on a 80/160GB harddrive.
                They give you 1/3 - 1/5th of the average shared hosts total alloted bandwidth.
                How do they intend to pay for a 80-100 USD server with only 3-5 clients @ 8 bucks a peice.?
                You are totally right on the bandwith. But you say a large amount of storage? Well, anways I like siteflip... and I will continue to recommend it. Feel free to trail my posts with your hate for it.

Regards,

John

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X