vBulletin vs other forum software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin vs other forum software

I am sure my 2 main questions have been asked before but i am not sure how to search for it without making a long search request. Here they are:

1. How does vBulletin compare to phpBB and invision power board ?
    2. Is vBulletin also a portal? MEaning does it have the ability to be the main site as well as the forums?

I am looking for a solution that has great inegration with a new site that i am building.

1) vBulletin is superior to them. The only reason not to buy it would be because you don't like the 'feel' of it. (Not trying to bash them.) Also, I believe that it is ranked as the best software, of the top three.

2) It isn't directly a portal, but you can download vBAdvanced, which is a portal managment system for your vBulletin forum.
    Last edited by Forum Dude; Thu 6th Jul '06, 1:37pm. Reason: Added more to the first answer.

Comment

vBulletin 3.6 Beta 4 compared to phpBB 3.0 Beta 1 and IPB 2.1.6? If those are the versions that you want compared, I'll put it this way. (Everything after this is strictly my opinion, and not fact.) vB still has the most stock features out of the three, but has the worst ACP. However, its support is very good and very quick. It's a steal at $160, but the leased license is a bit of a waste, I think. It's certainly on par with IPB, so you can't really go wrong with either solution. With vB, I like how the phrases are fully abstracted, so they can quickly and easily be changed via the ACP. (This is a long-term goal of IPB, so for the moment, some of the phrases must be changed via editing the source files.) When compared to phpBB, vB has many of the same features, but are generally better developed and more advanced. Also, vB is typically far more secure than phpBB. Finally, even phpBB 3.0 continues to lack many standard features of vB, such as rich-text editing and an advanced reputation and infraction system. When compared to IPB, vB has more complex coding, which can sometimes make it harder to understand what each variable does. IPB, however, has extremely clean coding, which is reflected on the board. (Everything follows a very simple "tree" structure.) Also, vB lacks such add-ons like an official blog script, gallery script, etc, while IPB has its own official solutions. While vB has a wealth of plugins, I just don't find it as "module" oriented as IPB. With the latter, you purchase any of the official add-ons, and it literally just adds a new URL extension to your board. There is very little source file editing involved. One of the biggest complains about vB is this lack of other official add-ons, so IPB has a definite advantage in that field. In the end, I'd say that both vB and IPB are far better than phpBB, so the final choice should really be which system you like better. From many third-party sites, I've come to the conclusion that most people agree that vB is overall the better solution, althougth IPB has a far better design and cleaner code.

There are add-ons for vB, such as vB Advanced, that will allow you to run vB as an entire website, and not just a bulletin board.
      Forums

Comment

Thank you both for your help and answers. phpBB comes free with my hosting plan but i used it once before and didnt really like it. I see way more vB board than IPB but i do know that it is pretty popular. I have a little more research to do and you comments have helped me a lot. Thank you again

Comment

"phpBB comes free with"

phpBB IS free.... its an open-source project. that is the main reason for its huge popularity, however most high-end forums end up converting to either vB or IPB.

one more thing to say in favour of vB; the import function. Impex supports A LOT of different source forums, and most of the importers work reasonably well (some source forums are utter crap, coding wise, so thats a good result)

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that most people agree that vB is overall the better solution, althougth IPB has a far (...) cleaner code.
            Please, tell me, that you're kidding...

Comment

Originally posted by gulldarek View Post
              Please, tell me, that you're kidding...
              This is why I stated before I started that post that everything was my opinion, and not fact. So, no, I'm not kidding. Also, that's from several opinions that I've read when the two solutions were compared.

In the end, both are good solutions, and arguing over who has the better laid-out code is stupid.
              Forums

Comment

I don't know which software has the best coding but I found vBulletin easier to code for than IPB.

Comment

I think he meant some hosts have a "vault" in the customer's CP with free aps like phpBB, phpNuke, Coppermine and others that you can install with a click of a button.

As for vB, it is superior to many mboard software out there. IPB is behind it and the others are a far back in the distance.

Originally posted by antiekeradio View Post
                  "phpBB comes free with"

phpBB IS free.... its an open-source project. that is the main reason for its huge popularity, however most high-end forums end up converting to either vB or IPB.

one more thing to say in favour of vB; the import function. Impex supports A LOT of different source forums, and most of the importers work reasonably well (some source forums are utter crap, coding wise, so thats a good result)
                  Kim

Comment

Nothing out there can compare against vBulletin.

At least in my eyes
                    Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X