Neutral login

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much Fusion.
    Hope I'll be cleared to buy a license this week, so I'll be back here very soon

Comment

Good luck with the purchase and all.
      Toddler from Hell

Comment

Sounds like you should use htaccess passwords so that people can't see ANYTHING until you give them the password. A lot less work than trying to customize vB or create a page.

Comment

Yes feldon23, but is it possible to link htaccess passwords to th vB table easily, so that when I create a new user in vB it would create one also for htaccess passwords ?

Comment

There is no communication whatsoever between .htaccess and vB.

There is no built-in feature to vBulletin to have invite-only registrations.

My mentioning of .htaccess was to have a password to give out to users that you want to have access to your website. Nobody will know the site exists nor will anyone (including search engines) be able to view any part of it until the .htaccess password is given. Like a "What's the password?" at a private club. Once you get in, you might still have to show credentials -- this is just so you can get in the door.

Frankly, if you create a website http://www.bobdolepineapple.com/myprivateforum/ then nobody will know about it unless someone carelessly posts the URL on another website or by e-mail to someone. Security through obscurity.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
              There is no communication whatsoever between .htaccess and vB.
              Yes, that's what I thought. So I'll have to create a .htaccess to access to login page. Then users will have to know 2 pairs of username-passwords. I wish it could be the same... (and by the way, for me not have to edit htaccess for each new user...)

There is no built-in feature to vBulletin to have invite-only registrations.
              But if I choose to not let guests view the forum and register myself new users and give them their username and passwords, won't be like an invite-only registration forum ?

My mentioning of .htaccess was to have a password to give out to users that you want to have access to your website. Nobody will know the site exists nor will anyone (including search engines) be able to view any part of it until the .htaccess password is given. Like a "What's the password?" at a private club. Once you get in, you might still have to show credentials -- this is just so you can get in the door.

Frankly, if you create a website http://www.bobdolepineapple.com/myprivateforum/ then nobody will know about it unless someone carelessly posts the URL on another website or by e-mail to someone. Security through obscurity.
              That's exactly what I think and by the way, I don't know what to think about the obligation to give the forum URL when buying a VB license...

Comment

You might be able to use the hack that lets people login from other non vb pages and include the code itself into the header of vbulletin so that the only that does show is you custom login page, and if you don't login you can't get in. but all you see is the html login ontop of the vbulletin

Comment

All you do is copy the login form and place it in any HTML script.
                  Make sure to edit the path it points to though.

Comment

That's exactly what I think and by the way, I don't know what to think about the obligation to give the forum URL when buying a VB license...
                    I think this would have something to do with the anti piracy measures used by Vb when the site calls home the url is checked against a database of licienced boards and if it is there then all is fine if not then you get a visit from the nice guys at PR.

Comment

You have to provide the URL vBulletin is installed on so that we know which sites are licensed and which ones aren't. If you didn't have to do this, what would prevent users from using the same license for multiple sites?
                      Best Regards
                      Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X