Magic Quotes..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magic Quotes..?

Hi guys, I posted not too long ago (re pre-sales) and have decided, I wish to purchase this software.
    One of the main attractions is it's integration with payment systems/contributions, allowing it to pay for itself (or at least members to pay it off slowly).

However, a couple of queries. I'm not sure how the paypal integration works. I have myself a premier account, allowing me to accept debit & credit cards etc, but can someone please elaborate a little more on this for me? Can it be set to an exact amount, a recurring annual fee, a one off payment etc?

Also...

I ran the vb_test.php

-------

It says overall PASS. Great but it does state that magic_quotes need to be edited. I'll get hold of my host, but for curiosity's sake, what "damage" (or adverse affects, etc) might i encounter if they choose to decline my request for whatever reason?
    Last edited by karlm; Fri 30 Jun '06, 6:50pm. Reason: img became url?
    VB 5.4.1 - PHP 7..2.4 - MySQL 5.5.56
    No Addons - none at all.

And on another note:

Is it worth me just waiting for v4.x, rather than rushing in to purchase 3.x version now?
    I ask this because I can't even update bbphp, let alone risk updating vbulletin. I know it can all be done, and loads of ppl have done it without a hitch... although i'm competant with computers and am often considered by friends & family as the 'tech guy', i'm at a loss on updating this sort of thing. So, should i wait - and if not, why are recommending i shouldn't?
    No Addons - none at all.

Comment

vBulletin will work on your server according to the test script. As far as waiting for vBulletin 4.0, I wouldn't recommend it. We are only beta testing 3.6 now. There is no definate idea on when vBulletin 4.0 will even reach that stage at this time.

Upgrading vBulletin is actually very easy and if you do not have a lot of code changes should be as simple as point and click.
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API

Comment

OK, but...

I understand your point regarding 4.x, I thought I'd ask though also realise it's a bit of a silly question too.
        On the other side, none of the other questions have been answered. I still don't know what 'magic quotes' are/is nor what kind of implication it may have on the board if i wereunable to have it amended by my host, as directed.
        I still have no idea about the paypal integration and such.
        I don't wish to sound ungrateful for the response I did receive, just bringing them (the unanswered Q's) back to the forefront of this thread, as they are (imho) the more pertinent answers I need prior to my purchasing of a license.

I can see, just by using it here as a basic member (and having played an hour or two within the demo's admin) how superior this is compared to bbphp, so my mind is pretty much set (though i still think it's extortionately priced), but even with all it's superiority, i'd still like to be 100% certain i'm doing the right thing by making this purchase than my current 95% certainty. It may not be a lot of money for many users, but to me a lifetime license is very costly indeed (immigration has made employment difficult, and immigration itself has more than squandered my savings & finances). I don't wish to purchase a yearly license though, as i'm certain once i've paid - i'll be sticking to it rigidly (why pay twice, or thrice?).

One extra query too, if I may.
        I realise there's a difference where domains & licenses are concerned... how ever, what of subdomains?
        For example, this will mainly be used for my larger audience of a political forum, but I also would like to use it for my very quiet family forum. However, I wouldn't want the two forums to be integrated as one, I would much prefer to run two instances throughout the domain & it's subdomain. If I 'had to', I would, but if it's possible to run two instances under the same domain (inc. one subdomain) that would be my preferred choice.
        No Addons - none at all.

Comment

magic_quotes_gpc is something PHP has to add slashes to data passed from either Get, Post or Cookie data (so "hello" becomes \"hello\" etc). I've always thought its main use would be for security reasons on poorly coded php scripts, though there's probably others

I'm not sure why the test.php makes such a big deal of it, my host has magic_quotes_gpc set to on and it has never caused me any problems with my forum. I think the vb line is it causes a performance hit, but I think they should consider rewording the 'FAIL' part, or at least add a warning along with it, since the way it is now could be off putting to potential customers when it doesn't need to be.
          [ Team Gaming Network ]

Comment

Ive been using vb for a while, but what is the magic quote things and the test.php file that you guys are talking about.

Thanks.
            Selling my BigBoard GamerzNeeds.net/forums Threads: 193 502, Posts: 1 540 045, Members: 718 566 It is listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showt...3#post18297060

Comment

Originally posted by hornstar6969 View Post
              Ive been using vb for a while, but what is the magic quote things and the test.php file that you guys are talking about.

Thanks.
              Test.php is a script which shows if vbulletin runs on your server configuration or not, the official vbulletin test script.

Magic quote is a feature of vbulletin and you must configure your php.ini to use this feature, if you dont need to use there is no need to conf. your php.ini
              If you are okay with your vbulletin there is no need to think this topic.

Comment

Excuse my confusion here, i see some users saying "must be disabled" while others say "not that important" - is it, or isn't it necessary to disable it/them?
                No Addons - none at all.

Comment

Originally posted by bmn View Post
                  Magic quote is a feature of vbulletin and you must configure your php.ini to use this feature, if you dont need to use there is no need to conf. your php.ini
                  This is really not a logical statement.

Magic Quotes means that any PHP script that submits a form with a value like "Suzy's Lemonade", PHP changes it to "Suzy\'s Lemonade". Very annoying for PHP script authors because we can't tell if the \ is part of what you sent or not. So we have to work around it by detecting if it's on and then stripping slashes back out before we try to analyse what was sent.

vBulletin works perfectly fine with Magic Quotes running. It just adds an infinitesmal delay stripping the slashes back out. It's so trivial I'm not sure why it's part of the test since it generates a lot of questions and probably a few people who think that vBulletin won't run on their server because of it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X