Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persuade me

wedw
    Last edited by KewLRoBbY; Sun 30th Jul '06, 10:42pm.

Originally posted by KewLRoBbY View Post
    Hey, Right now im in the process of either purchasing VB or IPB. Please persuade me.

Thanks in advance.
    Well, both are very good products, and you can't go wrong with either. As an owner of both products, I can tell you from my experiences that vB is faster when it comes to customer service and support. I also find that vB is easier to skin natively, thanks to its usage of live preview windows. While vB has a more expensive and restrictive leased license, the owned license is cheaper than IPB's by $25. While vB was slow to add many popular features, such as multi-quote, when they are implemented, they are done in a very intelligent and professional way.
    Forums

Comment

You're back again? I thought you were about to purchase one of them almost a year ago?

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152224
      vBulletin v3.8.0's Implementation of Google Adsense Should Be Avoided At All Costs - Do Your Own Adsense Implementation

Comment

Have a look through our testimonials page and see what some of our other customers think: http://www.vbulletin.com/customers.php
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Hey, Right now im in the process of either purchasing VB or IPB. Please persuade me.

Thanks in advance.
          Easily VB, at first I didnt want to put down 160 dollars on an owned license, but now Id say it was worth every penny, you get the best in forum softwares out there, not to mention access to www.vbulletin.org. Ive been surfing that site for days now checking up on all the styles and mods they got, it has gotten addicting.

Comment

wedwe
            Last edited by KewLRoBbY; Sun 30th Jul '06, 10:42pm.

Comment

Welp, thursdays the day. I woulda had it sooner but a guy bailed on a 7 page layout i designed (7 hours). so my friends lending me the money. I desided to go VB instead of IPB :P.

trust me you wont regret it the product is better and you cant beat the support team well you can but only with blunt objects however, you wont want too unless you are in a strange mood

Comment

JUST IN CASE ANYONE EVER ASKS THIS QUESTION AGAIN:

The people at IPS are bungling fools. The coding is slow, bulky, and full of errors. I am a former IPB customer, they lost me to vB. Their customer support is pathetic and useless, and they take months to fix the smallest of issues. My forum was hacked because of an exploit existing since 2003 that they failed to fix. I was happy I made backups- otherwise I would have lost everything. I've immediately moved to vBulletin.

Move to vB, you'll thank yourself- trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Markeez14 View Post
                  JUST IN CASE ANYONE EVER ASKS THIS QUESTION AGAIN:

The people at IPS are bungling fools. The coding is slow, bulky, and full of errors. I am a former IPB customer, they lost me to vB. Their customer support is pathetic and useless, and they take months to fix the smallest of issues. My forum was hacked because of an exploit existing since 2003 that they failed to fix. I was happy I made backups- otherwise I would have lost everything. I've immediately moved to vBulletin.

Move to vB, you'll thank yourself- trust me.
                  Funny. Securina doesnt show any exploits for it from what I see. Nor does anyone else.

Their support overal does stinks at speed. Also, IPB is more CSS based as VB is table based. So the coding will be different. But with my experiences with both, both are good, fast, and safe. Well as safe as a forum can be. What it comes down to is what your site needs. IPB can do things VB can't and vice versa. Heck some people still use PHPBB just because of that. Risks and all.

I'm sorry but anyone saying 'trust me' with a wink, loses my trust. Sounds like something a shoddy car salesman would say.

Can you prove...I mean prove it was from an exploit that they failed to fix and not just someone with a poor password that was brute forced. It also depends. Were you running on the 2.1 boards or 1.3? So many variables here its not even funny. Did you have hacks installed? Heck, look over Vb's forums. Because some one was able to access their site and wreck havoc with it, they blame VB's security almost right away. They dont even take into consideration the exploit could have come from a hack they had installed, or a brute forced password, or even a server exploit.

So 'trust me'. Both are good. But if you need fast support VB is better. The plug-in feature is nice too.

Check out both sites and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
                    Funny. Securina doesnt show any exploits for it from what I see. Nor does anyone else.

Their support overal does stinks at speed. Also, IPB is more CSS based as VB is table based. So the coding will be different. But with my experiences with both, both are good, fast, and safe. Well as safe as a forum can be. What it comes down to is what your site needs. IPB can do things VB can't and vice versa. Heck some people still use PHPBB just because of that. Risks and all.

I'm sorry but anyone saying 'trust me' with a wink, loses my trust. Sounds like something a shoddy car salesman would say.

Can you prove...I mean prove it was from an exploit that they failed to fix and not just someone with a poor password that was brute forced. It also depends. Were you running on the 2.1 boards or 1.3? So many variables here its not even funny. Did you have hacks installed? Heck, look over Vb's forums. Because some one was able to access their site and wreck havoc with it, they blame VB's security almost right away. They dont even take into consideration the exploit could have come from a hack they had installed, or a brute forced password, or even a server exploit.

So 'trust me'. Both are good. But if you need fast support VB is better. The plug-in feature is nice too.

Check out both sites and see what you think.
                    My forum didn't have any modifications at the time of the hack, nor was my password considered "hackable". It was over 10 characters, including space, numbers, and a character such as *.

Additionally, IPS immediately closed my thread and told me it was fixed in IPB 1.3. I was running IPB 2.1.1 at that time, and upon thorough research.. the exploit they claimed no longer exists was found by me on Google, and I was able to hack an account on my forum I created, with a simple password of "test". Even more, is that IPB 1.3 is infamous for it's "forgot password hack", which was NOT fixed, unless you manually patch it yourself. Even scarier was the fact that was how I was hacked.. 2 years after IPS "fixed" it.

Sure, IPB and vB are both great and established. But personally, vB is the better choice. If you want safety and support- you will choose vB. If you want easy peasy lemon squeezy, choose IPB- but you will regret it when you realize how slow their support is and when you login and realize you were hacked.

I have like.. 3 posts, car salesman? pffft

Comment

It only takes 2 posts to be labeled as a car salesman, a shoddy one at that.
                      Toddler from Hell

Comment

hey now, don't hurt my feelings!

Comment

Originally posted by Markeez14 View Post
                          My forum didn't have any modifications at the time of the hack, nor was my password considered "hackable". It was over 10 characters, including space, numbers, and a character such as *.

Additionally, IPS immediately closed my thread and told me it was fixed in IPB 1.3. I was running IPB 2.1.1 at that time, and upon thorough research.. the exploit they claimed no longer exists was found by me on Google, and I was able to hack an account on my forum I created, with a simple password of "test". Even more, is that IPB 1.3 is infamous for it's "forgot password hack", which was NOT fixed, unless you manually patch it yourself. Even scarier was the fact that was how I was hacked.. 2 years after IPS "fixed" it.

Sure, IPB and vB are both great and established. But personally, vB is the better choice. If you want safety and support- you will choose vB. If you want easy peasy lemon squeezy, choose IPB- but you will regret it when you realize how slow their support is and when you login and realize you were hacked.

I have like.. 3 posts, car salesman? pffft
                          IPB isn't any less secure than vB is. You already said you were running 2.1.1, which is an outdated version that has known security exploits. I have heard of older versions of vB being hacked just as easily, as well.

I agree with whitetigergrowl. Both are good solutions, and are very secure so long as you stay up-to-date. And while it's true that IPS is slower to respond to support tickets, they do offer helpful advice and are generally able to help out their customers.
                          Forums

Comment

I've Used Both...

Dude, DO NOT use IPB. It is messy, unorganized, and lacks the features, support and awesome hacks that vB has.

If you do not get vBulletin, there is something wrong with you!

Comment

Originally posted by SiriusBlack22 View Post
                              Dude, DO NOT use IPB. It is messy, unorganized, and lacks the features, support and awesome hacks that vB has.

If you do not get vBulletin, there is something wrong with you!
                              PURE BS. I can easily point to hacks that IPB has that VB STILL does not have or hacks VB has that are better done and more full featured on IPB. Wheres that VB wiki? Lacks the features!? Guess what? IPB 2.1 and IPB 2.0 had features VB with 3.5 and 3.6 are just now starting to use. VB uses tables. IPB uses CSS. The coding is going to be different, but by no means is unorganized or messy. Most anyone that has had the time to spend between VB and IPB know that they cater to different crowds. HOWEVER, IPB has many features like IP Dynamic and IP Converge that people on VB have been asking for something similar to. Their support is slower, yes. But by no means is bad. Everyones experience will always differ. Both with IPB and VB. Both are excellent forum software. And no matter the forum software there will always be a learning curve. In fact if you look at requests for VB...most seem to come from features IPB has. Then again...vice versa. IMO...VB relies more heavily on its modding community. IPB 2.1 and 2.2 are full featured and are more 'experienced' or 'advanced' knowledge on CSS and other things. Something I know turns some people off.

Frankly put. Something has to be wrong with you if you listen to pure fanboy BS like that quote above.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X