VB for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB for Dummies

Alright, I'm pretty computer savvy and able to figure things out.

Anyway, basically what I understand is this:

purchase VB
    purchase hosting and domain
    follow idiot-proof directions for loading VB to server

Now, is it really that easy? No coding in any languages? No SQL (no idea what that is) or PHP (no idea what that is).

I'm starting what will be a small forum for a while, hoping to host on ASO (if they ever get space open again), and I'm just wondering before I make the jump that I'm not going to get in over my head.

I want to use a basic forum skin, with basic forums (for starters), no intro page, etc. I'll get fancy later, but I want to get this up and running in a week. I have no job and no school, so I'm figuring it's more than possible.

Anyway, perhaps there's a question somewhere in this post, if not I'm just looking for reassurance that I'm not going to waste my time and money.

The hardest thing to do is edit the config file and add the mysql database details, if you know how to ftp files over to the server with some sort of ftp program, you could be up and running very quickly

Comment

Hmm, that is not something I know how to do. That could be a problem.

Alright, so if I add CuteFTP pro to my list of programs to buy, should I be all set?

Do I need to purchase some sort of MySQL? Looking through the idiot-proof install guide, it provides what seems like quite a bit of info on editing the config file and ftp'ing the files over, but is there a guide for people with even less knowledge on this issue?
      Last edited by tacticalnuke; Wed 7 Jun '06, 6:08am.

Comment

I was new to all this when I started my first site but your host can generally help out with the settings needed for the config file. You need a good host first with a MySQL database, I use ASO and pretty cheap for small hosting plan which includes the DB you need.

First thing is to have a domain and hosting with database and just upload the files to your site. It really is pretty easy to do.

Why pay for CuteFTP, very good program and what not but get something for free such as SmartFTP (Search google).
        [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

Free is good.

One more question (of many I suppose), if I start all this using one machine, but have to get rid of that later (long story) will I still be okay? IOW, will I be keeping anything on here and not on my server that could be necessary for use (I can always transfer over and burn to DVD on another comp, but I'm just wondering).

Alright, so get the host first and they should be able to offer some help?

Comment

ASO will help you all the way, just tell them what you want via the forum or support ticket in their control panel.

Changing machine wont effect anything, just make sure you backup files you need, don't forget you can still download vBulletin from the members area once purchased for the length of your subscription.

Make sure you keep the stuff safe though (Wipe hard drive on old comp) as you could be held responsible if someone nicks your software and uses it.
            [URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]Aviation Web[/URL="http://www.aviationweb.net/"]

Comment

Thank you for all the advice, and such quick responses.

Gotcha, will do.

So ASO should be able to provide most of the help. That is a relief.

One more question for now, is it possible to get a site set up and leave it for 2 months (with moderators, of course) without intervention on my part? I'll be AFK for 2 months maximum. I know it may be asking a lot, hopefully it can be done assuming my hosting is still enough.

Comment

I moved house and was offline for 6+ months as it took that long to move due to the buyer being a **s, the site ran fine and I had moderators but nothing ever went wrong.

Your site may run slow or go offline for a few minutes a week or so due to the host doing backups and upgrades, but other than that it's a good piece of reliable software that you don't need to keep checking. Hence why I have 4 of them! ;-) I leave them alone for google to do it's botting and what not and let new members register and find out about them.
                Last edited by Neal-UK; Wed 7 Jun '06, 6:39am.

Comment

Originally posted by tacticalnuke View Post
                  is it possible to get a site set up and leave it for 2 months (with moderators, of course) without intervention on my part?
                  When you setup the forums and you have good moderators,you don't need to check your site at all ... But again, you need to trust your mods ..
                  I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol like some thinkle peep I am!

Comment

One more question for now, is it possible to get a site set up and leave it for 2 months (with moderators, of course) without intervention on my part? I'll be AFK for 2 months maximum. I know it may be asking a lot, hopefully it can be done assuming my hosting is still enough.
                    As far as the site continuing to run, I don't see it being a problem (make sure you have at least one Super Moderator to take care of banning and such)

However, most sites need their daddies at first to stay alive. Not because they have to do anything in the back-end, but to keep things going in the front-end. I'm a little nervous about mine, and I'm only gonna be gone for nine days.

It's like coming of age

Comment

http://www.f5hosting.com/plans.php

I'm thinking of going with Bronze and wondering if that'll be enough for me?

It gives you two MySQL databases (from what I understand I only need one). All the rest seems alright. Any opinions?

Or do I not need an SQL database?
                      Last edited by tacticalnuke; Wed 7 Jun '06, 9:57am.

Comment

Hmm, that is not something I know how to do. That could be a problem.

Alright, so if I add CuteFTP pro to my list of programs to buy, should I be all set?

Do I need to purchase some sort of MySQL? Looking through the idiot-proof install guide, it provides what seems like quite a bit of info on editing the config file and ftp'ing the files over, but is there a guide for people with even less knowledge on this issue?
                        No mysql is covered by the hosting you purchase (your webhost must have mysql 4.0.16 or later). Most hosts use some sort of control panel, adding a user database and database password for the user takes about 5~ min at the most. Then you copy that info into the config.php file. Most hosts should be willing to help you or guide you though this as well.

Comment

http://www.f5hosting.com/plans.php

I'm thinking of going with Bronze and wondering if that'll be enough for me?

It gives you two MySQL databases (from what I understand I only need one). All the rest seems alright. Any opinions?

Or do I not need an SQL database?
                          I personally would recommend A Small Orange. I've used them since late 2005 and never had a problem. Their 'Small' plan should suit you fine. It gives you way more features than the Bronze package on F5Hosting for $7 less per month. It has everything you would need for a vB forum.

Comment

Yup, I purchased a Small ASO plan last night.

Comment

How did it go tacticalnuke?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X