Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I would be in favor of dropping leased license altogether or only offering them in an encrypted format. Most of the software piracy, fraud and scams we deal with are related to leased licenses which are far out of proportion of these licenses sold.

Having said that, Jelsoft has maintined the exact same prices since they started in 2000. Given inflation, a vB license is actually cheaper now that it was 6 years ago. There aren't many commercial competitors that can make the same claim.

As others have pointed out, we have always been completely upfront about our pricing and these policies. I'm sorry if you feel you've been taken advantage of, but we did provide you with exactly what you purchased and what we said we would.

As for the future of the leased license, who knows? It does serve some useful purpose as others have noted.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by gulldarek View Post
      As for competing with IPB and WBB - as you can see vB developers live with their prices. I wouldn't switch to IPB even if it was free just because: it's code is a mess and 90% of features came after vB devs added them to their product.
      That 90% thing on features is HIGHLY debateable. Considering that alot of what came in 3.5 and is coming in 3.6 has been available on IPB since 2.0 and 2.1. As well Vbulletin came after other message board software had been around and 'borrowed' many of those features. Things like Rss Feeds, multi-quote, etc. have been around in other forum software for quite some time and as plug-ins or hacks for awhile as well. In all honesty I know I and many others are suprised it wasn't added sooner considering how long some of it has been around and has been requested. Regardless...it's not about who implements it first...but rather who does it best.

IPB has had a plug-in system since before VB added one in VB 3.5. However overall VB's is done better...but however still, even with the new changes its still in need of some help. However nothing is perfect and things can change. So yeah, there are things VB added that IPB added later and vice versa. Obviously you missed the whole VB 3.5 announcement fiasco. However, its who does it best that matters. Some areas IPB does it better than VB and vice versa. And honestly...it doesnt matter what forum website you are. If you have alot of your members wanting multi-quote for example...are you gonna deny them that just because someone else had it first? And there are things such as IP Dynamic and IP Converge that so far VB hasn't been able to get anywhere near.

I would say VB and IPB are roughly split down the middle on borrowing from each other. Not anywhere near 90%. Thats blatant BS. Both Matt and those here in power at VB have stated its to be expected that they both borrow from each other. However they both cater to different crowds. I like both, I use both, and both have their purposes.

As for the leased license thing, I agree with Steve on the offering of an encrypted version. It may help slow some of the piracy issues too. At least its a start.

Comment

You know, I always though the leased liscense was a bit too much. With an owned liscense costing not even double more than a leased, anyone serious would probably go with the owned liscense. I understand though that there's people who want to try it out more than the admin demo too, which is probably why this liscense still exists. That being said, it probably is a good target for piracy theft. Never really thought of it that way, so my original opinion of lowering the lease liscense sseems to be a bad idea.

Comment

i believe you shouldn't charge in USD or GBP because the currencies are different and it's not fair to the people in UK because their 90 GBP worth alot more than the 160 USD.
          i'm saying that because i lived in both countries and i know about the currencies.

Comment

I believe the price differnces are due to the flucutating GBP/Euro/US Dollar, its updated from time to time.

Comment

The only way this can be done equitably is to base the price on one currency which is exactly what we've done - USD. Then any other prices are based on current exchange rates.

Honestly I don't see any way to change this without introducing all sorts of inequities and arbitrary judgements concerning pricing. This is not going to change.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by peterska2 View Post
                I got a leased licence at first as I wasn't sure how long I would have the site especially as I was totally new to the world of running a BB. After about 11 months had passed my site was still ticking over ok so I upgraded to an owned licence. I then started a new venture too which I had big doubts about, but I still got a leased licence, then 12 months later upgraded that one to an owned licence too.

Some people, like myself, get a leased licence if they are not sure how the site is going to span out. Others only want something for a short-ish period so get aleased licence. Yet others get a leased licence as that is what is within their budget.
                thats a perfect example of why the leased licence works.

Comment

Actually I'd rather not even switch myself. The fact of the matter is alot of people use PHPBB and SMF. I personally use SMF. A owned license is the money I got left in the paychecks. I got bills to pay. I really don't want to pay for a leased and an owned. Why bother? When you have to pay every year to update it? Do you really even own it? Also, A Invision Power Board Leased License sounds better in my opinion. Also, why not offer a higher cost version of VB so that you actually own the thing forever without paying updates? Also, why not have it run forever? In my opinion, you have to pay for updates anyways. Do you want your forum hacked? No. Understand?

Comment

Actually, with an owned license, paying for updates is optional. If you want to stay with 3.5.x without upgrading to 3.6.x, for example, you can without being required to pay for the updates. Want to update inthe future? It's a simple $30 and you have updates for the entire year.
                    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Originally posted by Onimua View Post
                      Actually, with an owned license, paying for updates is optional. If you want to stay with 3.5.x without upgrading to 3.6.x, for example, you can without being required to pay for the updates. Want to update inthe future? It's a simple $30 and you have updates for the entire year.
                      Ya but if you don't pay for updates your forum will get hacked. So, you have to pay. You don't own it. You have no choice. Good luck getting hacked. It may say you own it but you really don't.

Comment

Originally posted by grabacontroller View Post
                        Ya but if you don't pay for updates your forum will get hacked. So, you have to pay. You don't own it. You have no choice. Good luck getting hacked. It may say you own it but you really don't.
                        Why would your forum get hacked? We provide security updates for free for quite a long time. You could easily patch a 3.0.3 with the secrutiy patches from each of the sub-sequent releases. in 3.5 its easier with plugins.

Comment

Security Updates for free? Wait a sec? You mean updates are for features not security?

Comment

vBulletin updates tend to cover several items generally, bugs found since the last version released, features if any, as well as security fixes. We provide patched files as well as plugins for newer versions to fix issues easier.

Comment

Updates are for security most of the time if it's along the same line. From 3.x and on, all the others (like 3.1, 3.2, etc.) were, in most part, secirity updates. Going from 3.x to 3.5.x is a feature update. Of course sometimes updates along the same line come with a small feature or two added, but rehauls with features are usually a new line. That's how it seems to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
                                Why would your forum get hacked? We provide security updates for free for quite a long time. You could easily patch a 3.0.3 with the secrutiy patches from each of the sub-sequent releases. in 3.5 its easier with plugins.
                                ok........ Is what you mean is that you get free updates for a year when you buy it? Also, I heard something about SMF that you can't import the passwords but only the Messages. Also, Could you update it if I requested it before I buy VBulletin?

Also, I'm just saying that I agree that there is no point to leased licenses unless you can run it forever. I mean, you have to update your VB sometime or another. So, thats what I'm tryin to say.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X