Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought an owned license, cost me 160 dollars from here and I knew that was the better option than leased. Now all I gotta pay is 30 dollars if i need to upgrade after my year. It was the initial 160 dollars that was hard on me, glad that is over with now lol. Actually Iam not doing too bad right now, I have over 50 members registered and ive only had it up for a month.
    Last edited by PKartar; Sat 15th Jul '06, 10:41pm.

Comment

• Sounds like you're off to a great start - well done!
      Lats...

Comment

• The leased license isn't pointless. Actually I just bought one right now. Everyone will probably think I'm an idiot and am ripping myself off. Obviously getting the owned license is the better deal, and I will, next year. But some of us are on tight budgets......that extra $75 is worth a lot, to me at least. So I'll get the leased license now, and upgrade to owned when I have the $$$, next year....

Comment

• Originally posted by good2laugh View Post
          I think we'd do well to remember that $85 maybe easier to come by for some than for others. Getting a leased licence is a gamble, if the site doesn't take off or we don't like the software its reasonable, but if we find we like the software or the site is doing ok having then to pay out $85 again or $160 does seem a bit steep.
          An entire month to decide if we like the license or not? That's all? A month is nowhere near enough time to decide that.

Originally posted by utw-mephisto View Post
          What you COULD do is using a free solution such as phpbb or SMF and when the forum hit off, get vbulletin and use IMPEX to convert over to vbulletin .. just my .02 cent
          It takes months for a forum to hit off. I for one, am not going to start with a forum and then switch to another..Because if you do, all the URLS will change and the links you had in the search engines will be nill.

I move the leased license should have the option of a month trial to be extended to 4-6 months.

Originally posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
          When you pay your cable company for television service for a year upfront, do you complain to them when you have to pay more money to continue using it after a year? You agreed to pay $85 for one year of usage. The one year is done, you got what you paid for and you agreed to that before you paid. There is nothing to discuss other than greed being one of the seven deadly sins.
          Your entire analogy is flawed. If you wanted to draw a parallel it would go like this:

If your cable company charges you $100 for a lifetime (50 years) of cable but you chose the half a lifetime (25 years) subscription for $50 when 25 years is up, does it feel right to pay the $100 on top of the $50 you already paid?

Originally posted by Floris View Post
          I still think we could change the license type from owned to perpatual and make it $249 and make the leased license encoded and time + feature limited for $49. The price never changed and the features and everything else has proven to be quality and probably doubled and still the market leader, for over 5 years in a row. Just natrual progression to improve business. $160 is just way too cheap right now in my eyes for what you're actually getting.
          You can't be serious. Then again you probably get vB for free, so what do you care?

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
          So if we *ever* increase prices we lose you as a customer? Even though with inflation the real cost of vB is less that it was in 2002? We aren't allowed to even keep up with inflation?

Do you tell this to everyone you purchase from? Have you stopped buying gas.
          That's the biggest stretch I've seen. And yes, I am a potential customer and you will definitely lose me. Gas is a neccesity. I need it to goto work, college, run errands, church etc,.. I only pay the prices for gas because I must there isnt free gas out there like SMF or PHPBB.

Originally posted by tacticalnuke View Post
          For the time these techs put in, the level of support offered, the ease-of-use of the software, the "won't stop 'til we fix your problems" attitude, this software could cost double what it does and I'd still pay for it.

Let's be honest here, folks. I'm not trying to insult anyone, but if you can't afford a $160 one-time piece of software that lasts a year, perhaps you should re-examine your finances.
          I'm so sorry, you're right. I will cut corners on my college tuition and skip out on a couple textbooks or so. Then maybe I'll have the money.

Originally posted by [B
          Zachery[/b]]
          If we followed the price of gas vBulletin would cost about $501.66 today.

I assume you are from the U.S. The price here is only that high because of the War. Was there a war between vB and IPB that would explain )Not that vB needs to it's their product) a potential price increase other than the reason for Jelsoft to line their pockets?

Originally posted by Digital2 View Post
          Jelsoft has no way to control whether you continue to use their product after the lease has expired. They know that some people will steal their product and get away with it. Also, prosecuting such theft in some countries is nearly impossible. Since they have no way of knowing who is honest (and will renew their lease) and who isn't, they simply make the cost of leasing an unattractive option as opposed to owning.
          What do you mean by that? I thought Jelsoft can track everyone?
          Originally posted by RMS-Chef View Post
          I think it would be nice if say after paying three years of lease fees that your license converts to an Owned. Then your getting your $250 for the software as one of the staff mentioned and you reward the loyalty.
          Ahh that's a good idea. But most after the second year would just buy it anyway.

Logically speaking of course, if the leased option had an upgrade extended to 4 months everyone would upgrade because that is the next best thing to a "Payment plan". I love vB and registered because I'm getting ready to buy it. I was thinking about a used license, so I came here for more info. I like everything about vB and I am not trying to knock it..
          http://www.psp-hacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=27982
          I defended tooth and nail there, and I am about to use it on my site http://www.homebrewhowto.com

Comment

• The lease license upgrade has been extended to 60 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by lordmenace View Post
              An entire month to decide if we like the license or not? That's all? A month is nowhere near enough time to decide that.
              It's two months (60 days.)

Originally posted by lordmenace View Post
              That's the biggest stretch I've seen. And yes, I am a potential customer and you will definitely lose me.
              So we will lose you as a customer is we *ever* raise prices, even though when adjusted for inflation our prices are lower than they were 6 years ago. Okay. I have no problem with that. You have every right to make this decision.

Having said that there are no plans to raise prices. However I cannot and will not state that we will *never* do so. That would be ridiculous and transparently dishonest.
              Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
              Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                It's two months (60 days.)

So we will lose you as a customer is we *ever* raise prices, even though when adjusted for inflation our prices are lower than they were 6 years ago. Okay. I have no problem with that. You have every right to make this decision.

Having said that there are no plans to raise prices. However I cannot and will not state that we will *never* do so. That would be ridiculous and transparently dishonest.
                Ok, don't take what I said out of context. It depends on the price hike. If you go high enough you'll lose everyone (Although we both know that).

Comment

Ok, don't take what I said out of context. It depends on the price hike. If you go high enough you'll lose everyone (Although we both know that).
                  Needs to be a big-ass price to lose me...
                  It's not the fall that kills you— it's the sudden stop at the end.
                  Learn from the mistakes of others, because you can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Comment

Fair enough. I think it stands to reason that if any product's price is raised too much, the result will be loss of customers.

I believe that our record of 6 years without a single price increase speaks for itself though.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

• I think its good to have a leased license so that you can try it out for 60 days and if you like it you can get an owned license.

Comment

• For some people, it saves them money. For example, somebody might develop a vB forum for six months then sell it. Obviously the better option would be the leased license in that scenario.
                        Wii Zelda

Comment

• Originally posted by .:mak:. View Post
                          For some people, it saves them money. For example, somebody might develop a vB forum for six months then sell it. Obviously the better option would be the leased license in that scenario.
                          Leased licenses cannot be sold or transferred.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                            I still think we could change the license type from owned to perpatual and make it $249 and make the leased license encoded and time + feature limited for $49. The price never changed and the features and everything else has proven to be quality and probably doubled and still the market leader, for over 5 years in a row. Just natrual progression to improve business. $160 is just way too cheap right now in my eyes for what you're actually getting.
                            You can't be serious. Then again you probably get vB for free, so what do you care?
                            Just to point out, that's actually the best route if people wishes to compare things with other commercial scripts. Most commercial softwares out there have encoded source to some extend unless you are willing to pay the steep price for their highest package. And even then, some cases are still encoded, and limited to some extend. Oh, and for the record, vBulletin supports does not get free licenses, this was confirmed in another thread a while back
                            Best Regards,
                            Andy Huang

Comment

• I like the leased license being extended. It's the closest thing to a payment plan. Now I won't have to decide between vB and my Chemistry books. It makes things alot smoother on teh pockets. I hope fully will get vB next week. I can't wait.

Comment

• I think the leased license is quite good, I'm 99.99% sure that if there wasn't a leased license, the piracy of this software would be a lot worse.
                                Many Warez forums have converted due to the cheapness of the Leased license.
                                Plus I hear a good number of people get their owned license afterwards.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X