This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ptesite View Post
    Okay, so let me see if I understand this.

After reading all this, I feel that an owned license is the way to go.

I purchased a leased license on May 17th, and if I understand correctly I have until July 17 to pay the extra $80 or whatever it is to upgrade to an owned license.

Then, after July 17, 2007, I'll need to pay $30 a year for upgrades, should I so choose.

Am I right?
    Thats correct I believe

Comment

• If you keep your owned license up-to-date, then Owned pays for itself after 2 1/2 years.

Code:
      Years    Owned    Leased
      1        $160    $85
      2        $190    $170
      3        $220    $255
      4        $250    $340
      5        $280    $425
      6        $310    $510
      You won't find a louder proponent of the Leased license than me. Many people just cannot cough up $160 at once. And I think Jelsoft is going to see a greater number of Leased -> Owned upgrades within the first 2 months with the new policy. $85 and then another $85 after 2 months is fairly easy justifable. Only after 2 years did I switch to Owned and I will renew my member access when some of the Plugins I depend on have been ported to 3.6. I'm really gonna hate sending $40 to PP.
      Last edited by feldon23; Sat 17 Jun '06, 3:11pm.

Comment

• Despite the good arguments some of you post here we probably have no interest in removing the leased option because a lot of companies have small projects or plan to use a temp forum for the launch of a new product or service, etc. They still benefit from the cheaper price if they only run it for x months (where x is less than 12). Of course if the company has multiple projects they can just move the owned license between projects, but most do that anyway.

Comment

• Considering the fact that there has already been said a lot about the subject;

I think Jelsoft would sell more permanent licences if they would offer holders of a leased license a nice deduction on the 'upgrading' fee.

for instance:

leased with more than 6 months to go -> owned; 50% deduction.
          leased with less than 6 months to go -> owned; 20-25% deduction.
          leased (expired) -> owned; 0-10%

Off course the leased licence would have to be nulled at the time of 'upgrading', but I think the technical solutions there are not an issue.

Greetings Wouter

Comment

• Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
            Code:
            Years    Owned    Leased
            1        $160    $85
            2        $190    $170
            3        $220    $255
            4        $250    $340
            5        $280    $425
            6        $310    $510
            Actually, that's not entirely true. From my experience (not all that long)
            Code:
            Years    Owned    Leased
            1        $160    $85
            2        $160    $170
            3        $190    $255
            I didn't find the need to upgrade for one year, so I didn't pay. I'm fairly sure I don't have to pay again this year if 3.6 goes Gold before my license expire, because anything after that is just sugar ontop of icing, and patch fixes are always free
            Best Regards,
            Andy Huang

Comment

• To clarify: Security patches are usually provided for free to our customers.
              Best Regards
              Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• I think the leased license is a good idea for someone who is just starting a forum. If it isnt going to work out, you'll know in a year, and why have an owned license if it isnt going to work out?

I would like to see a discount to upgrade though. (beyond the first 60 days I mean)
                vBulletin Hosting - Building my Automotive Forum Network...
                vBulletin FAQ - Lincoln vs Cadillac - Mopar Forum - Car Audio Forum - E Body Mopar Forum - B Body Mopar Forum
                Pick Up Truck Forum - C Body Mopar Forum - FMJ Body Mopar Forum - Willys and Jeep Forum

Comment

• Even if Jelsoft offered a discount after 364 days, there'd still be those that insist there should be a discount after the year is up. Due to this thread the discount-period was doubled. Count your blessings rather than pushing your luck.
                  Last edited by Fusion; Fri 14 Jul '06, 4:31am. Reason: Sloppy, sloppy, sloppy...
                  Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Originally posted by joeychgo View Post
                    I think the leased license is a good idea for someone who is just starting a forum. If it isnt going to work out, you'll know in a year, and why have an owned license if it isnt going to work out?
                    It'd be nice to have around if you ever want to start a forum again. No matter how long it's been since support for it ended, you only have to pay 30 USD to renew support for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by derfy View Post
                      It'd be nice to have around if you ever want to start a forum again. No matter how long it's been since support for it ended, you only have to pay 30 USD to renew support for it.
                      Then why would anyone buy an owned license?

Owned licenses currently work like that, and support for an owned license never runs out.

Comment

• I think that's what he meant Zach
                        Best Regards
                        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

• Zach merely pointed out that with an owned license it's not the support your 30 USD is for, it's for the continued development and the right to download upgrades.
                          Toddler from Hell

Comment

• Obviously, I have not read through this entire thread, but...

I'd like you to go to any Auto dealership, lease a car for 3 years and expect them to just let you keep it at the end, which actually they will, if you make a balloon payment and buy the car. Humm, Sounds familier.

Just buy the software and call it done my friend, the leased license makes perfect sence as is, as does the owned license.

the fact that vbulletin has the best support staff, and the best addons and hacks is a major bonus. (i.e. Icing on the cake, so to speak)
                            My Website
                            My vBulletin Installation

Comment

• you really need some friends when you want to drop the leasing system...

go lease a car.. will they argue with you about their policy ?

go lease a appartment, will the owner argue with you about his policy ?

... not happy, just go elsewhere...

edit: and if you plan to lease a software for more than a year, you have a confidence problem... you're supposed to know after 6 or 8 months if it worth a second year of living, and if so, buy that damn software ...
                              Last edited by nexialys; Fri 14 Jul '06, 11:01am.
                              oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

if your not sure if your sites forum will become big what i found is starting with phpbb simple enough but weak (compared to vb) forum software. Just use impex to transfer your users over and goto the full benfits of VB with a full license, cheaper, better, and your users will oogle over the vast nice features vb has to offer. That'll make them draw more people to your site I know if i did not go with VB my site would suck because there are next to no add ons that i wanted for phpbb. Thanks Vbulletin for making me money! And here is to my next license! *clicks buy tomorrow lol*

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X