Why am I so nervous??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why am I so nervous??

The only other forum board I've ever used is phpBB.. And it has definatly been an adventure for me - trying to learn the whole MOD and addon thing ect ect. vB just seems so much more professional, easy, and filled with all the extras without the hassle of installing... And yet - I'm still nervous..?

Is it really as good as it seems? Or am I going to wake up tomorrow asking myself why I just spent 160 dollars on a forum when I alreay had one that fuctioned for free? Why does one choose vB over phpBB?

Is vB as customizable as phpBB... Does it have sub-forums (I forgot to ask that before lol) As far as the license goes - does reinstalling allowed (silly question probably but trying to cover all my bases here here hee)

I've been going nuts for I don't know how long now - "Should I or should I not" type thing... I'm pretty much convinced that I really want it.. Guess I just need someone to push me over that edge so to speak LOL

So come on peoples Finish selling vBulletin to me And do it quick - before I pull out all my hair trying to make up my own mind LOL

Thanks,
    Bree

Is vB as customizable as phpBB?
    I would say so, check out www.vbulletin.org for the mod site.

Does it have sub-forums?
    Yep.

does reinstalling allowed (silly question probably but trying to cover all my bases here here hee)
    As long as you only have one set of files active per license then yes.

Comment

It is better than it seems. phpBB's admin panel is mind-blowing, trying to modify anything is problematic too.. In my opinion it's far more customizable than phpBB is, there is a whole community for it. http://www.vbulletin.org
      And the way you install hacks is much easier...usually you just install plugins, and alter some on the templates, but usually you don't modify any of the vbulletin files. You'll be happy with the mods you can find at vbulletin.org, and the support you'll get if you have any trouble. It does have subforums, and it's very easy to set them up.

I'll tell you this, when you set your community with vBulletin..you'll say..."ah it was well worth it"

you can reinstall it on the same domain name, in the same directory you installed it in originally.
      Last edited by wilhelm32; Sat 20 May '06, 3:18pm.

Comment

I used Invision for almost 3 years. i think VB is alot easier for me to use than what the invision was esp like the mods some of them are really simple . you could also open a passworded forum for testing mods on.

and like installing skins are alot easier too..I love VB..

Comment

SOLD

You will actually be proud to know that I made up my mind all by my wittle self After posting, I had stared at my words for a good 15-20 minutes LOL Finally I was like "Bree, quit being stupid and just go buy it!" -- It was nice to come back and find the answers I was hoping for which made me feel really good about my purchase

I did run into a problem while completing the payment transaction. I originally tried to pay with my Visa, the preferred way (can't remember what it was called - the second option hehe) Anyways, when I submitted my information I got an error saying that the payment failed due to my IP not matching my country? What the world is that about? I've never ran into a prob using my card online and goodness knows there's enough funds in there to more than cover vB. I'm currently in Alaska using the wireless connection this resort offers - could that be the problem? Perhaps it's too close to Canada - I dunno. Anyways I paid with paypal instead.. eCheck.. The expectent clearing date is the 24th... I take it I won't recieve the information needed to DL the board until sometime after that?

Smile,
          -Bree

Comment

Perhaps it's too close to Canada
            Hehe, that'd be it

Sorry about that, but these are fraud prevention methods on the payment processors side, over which we have very little control.

You'll receive your license info as soon as the payment clears.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Well if I complained about it now... and just say for some off the wall reason they decided to change that because Bree said "please"... The next day someone would be all over the internet using my card for their pleasures... So I won't complain

Thanks for the replay
              -Bree

Comment

You wont regret your decision .. You can install a 2nd copy of your forum btw. Just make sure it is password locked (using .htaccess) .. you are allowed to have one 2nd forum for testing etc. So I would suggest using it if you want to try new stuff, to check how easy it is before you *beep*up your live forum.

Search google for xampp, you can do it offline even (xampp - all in one Webserver, MySQL etc. for Windows or / and Linux)
                I'm not under the alkafluence of inkahol like some thinkle peep I am!

Comment

Originally posted by Bree
                  vB just seems so much more professional, easy, and filled with all the extras without the hassle of installing... And yet - I'm still nervous..?
                  Don't be. Simply put, VB is far superior to PHPBB and if you continue using PHPBB, you should be nervous, simply due to its' poor reputation on security.

Is vB as customizable as phpBB... Does it have sub-forums (I forgot to ask that before lol) As far as the license goes - does reinstalling allowed (silly question probably but trying to cover all my bases here here hee)
                  The mods are vast but some older ones may not work on the latest version. That said, the older ones are usually upgraded in quick time for users who need it.

The license system on Vb is excellent, but I suggest that you go for the owned license if your budget permits.

I've been going nuts for I don't know how long now - "Should I or should I not" type thing... I'm pretty much convinced that I really want it.. Guess I just need someone to push me over that edge so to speak LOL
                  I did the same. I started out in 2000 and found phpBB as my first forum software. I used it for 3 months and was hacked. I thankfully had a backup, but that is not really the point.

So, I then found Invision Free, which I installed and got working as I wanted. I spent years using this software and had no issues with it and really could not see what the big fuss was about, regarding VB.

I eventually got fed up with no upgrades on Invision due to it going commercial, so was close to buying the license, until I had a go at VB which was installed on a friends forum, which I helped out with now and again. I spent a few weeks with this and knew it was for me.

Hence, I am here and own a VB license. I would never reccomend anything other than VB to anyone.

Good luck in your quest for sanity!!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X