Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help a vB newbie???

Hello ALL:

My first post here, and lots of questions. Hope someone can help.

We're a MAC-centric business. Will I be able to work with vB from my MAC?

I've already been in touch with my hosting service, and they are completely vB, so absolutely no problems there.

How much knowledge of PHP and MySQL will I need to get this up and running? I know nothing about this at the present time. Straightforward configuration, or a real nightmare for the PHP/MySQL challenged?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I have a powerbook myself and use it to do work on these forums providing support and sales and writing posts, etc. No problems what so ever

You don't need much knowledge. All you require to know to install vBulletin is the MySQL database host, user/pass and database name. Update one config.php file to update these variables (can use any editor basically) and you're good to go.

We've coded vB to make it easy for everybody to install and use.

If your hosting provider runs vBulletin they probably have PHP & MySQL running, and they will provide you with these services, you don't have to install PHP/MySQL yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris
      I have a powerbook myself and use it to do work on these forums providing support and sales and writing posts, etc. No problems what so ever

You don't need much knowledge. All you require to know to install vBulletin is the MySQL database host, user/pass and database name. Update one config.php file to update these variables (can use any editor basically) and you're good to go.

We've coded vB to make it easy for everybody to install and use.

If your hosting provider runs vBulletin they probably have PHP & MySQL running, and they will provide you with these services, you don't have to install PHP/MySQL yourself.
      Thanks Floris.

My Forum is now installed! Now, I have to learn how to configure the forum to fix my "look and feel" and content requirements.

A very impressive and well thought out piece of gear you folks have created!

Many thanks,

Steve

Comment

I agree. vBulletin is a premier forum software. You won't regret this purchase. Surely the availability of such rich features + easy plugin and extensions system will make it more than worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by harishankar
          I agree. vBulletin is a premier forum software. You won't regret this purchase. Surely the availability of such rich features + easy plugin and extensions system will make it more than worth it!

Yes, and now I have to set myself the task of learning them!!!

Comment

One caveat. If your users plan to use non English (ie: Germanic) characters in posts they will have trouble with some browsers.
            ß
            í
            ü
            ö

Will be a problem. Problem seems lessened by using Firefox browser

Steve

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X