Several Questions about vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several Questions about vBulletin

Hello, I've been using phpBB for my forum since it's start, and so far I haven't been too impressed with it. The reason I've stuck with it is because it's free, and has three perfect templates.
    But, I've come to realize that those two reasons aren't enough to warrant keeping it. So, I've taken a look at my other options, and vBulletin is on the top of the list. But first, I have questions!

1). A big question: Is there a skin kit, or is skinning vB easy to skin? I'm completely capable of designing, but coding the skin into the software = no.

2). Does the owned license last forever, on 'til the end of eternity, does it EVER end?

3). Is importing posts and everything from phpBB simple, using ImpEx? And will the MODs I have installed on my forum now affect anything? Because I have a butt load of MODs installed on it now, and I mean a serious ton of MODs and hacks.

4). I have heard lots and lots (and lots) about phpBB insecurity. Now, I've never had any bad experiences with it myself, so I don't really know. How secure is vB against hacking attempts and server attacks? And exactly what makes it more secure than any other forum?

5). How easy is it to install the upgrades? phpBB gave me hell with the 2.0.20 release, and I don't want to have to go through anything like that ever again. Ever.

Hi,

1) vB features an advanced Style manager in the AdminCP. It is pretty easy to create skins. You edit the templates and CSS all through the Admin CP.

2) Yes, the owned license lasts forever, you just have to pay $30 every year after your first year if you want to download newer versions.

3) Yes, importing with ImpEx is very easy. I personally came from phpBB as well and I found ImpEx to be very easy to use, you basically just keep hitting the next button. Also the mods shouldn't affect it, but if they really change the db structure you might have some problems.

4) vB is very secure. When a security exploit has been reported the devs usually release a fix very quickly.

5) It's very easy to upgrade especially if you just use the plugin system for your hacks, if you install any. If you install some that require code modifications you will have to reapply those modifications each time you upgrade. The upgrade script is basically like the installer, you just keep hitting next after it completes each upgrade step.

Hope this helps.

Derek
    <Onimua> Congrats Chroder
    <Onimua> You're a daddy.
    <Chroder> eh
    <Onimua> :)
    <Chroder> uh oh

Comment

Well, you can edit the CSS in phpBB really easy too. I'm talking about images and stuff.

Comment

Ahh ok, when you add a new skin in vB, it bases it off of the Default vB style. You can just create a new folder in your images folder for the new skins images, and edit the skin options for the new skin you added to use that folder, and add your own images, and edit the layout and everything in the Admin CP. There really is no skinning kit though.

Derek
        <Onimua> Congrats Chroder
        <Onimua> You're a daddy.
        <Chroder> eh
        <Onimua> :)
        <Chroder> uh oh

Comment

Okay, that's pretty much the same as phpBB. Thanks for your help

Comment

If you want to add rounded corners and things like that, you'll have to edit the templates which are 95% HTML and 5% PHP snippets.

Comment

Three follow up questions:

Are security updates provided free, or do I have to pay to "upgrade"?

If I buy the 2 year "owned" license, after three years, can I still pay $30 and upgrade to the current version at that point?

Can subforums or categories have their own skins? Is that what this is saying: "Ability to create multiple styles which can be applied to different forums and users "?

thanks. I'm a disgruntled phpBB user, too.
              Last edited by Panzer Max; Mon 8 May '06, 4:41pm.

Comment

Whenever possible security oatches are made avaqilable at noi cost. However that is not always possible if you have not kept your versions up to date.

There is no '2 year owned license'. With an owned license you get the right to run the software forever and access to the download section of the Members Area for one year. During that year you can download and install any new versions that are released. After the year is up you can renew the download access for $30/yr (the curr
                ent price.) This is not a mandatory fee and you will still the right to runyour current version for as long as you want. However if you want access to future updates you will need to renew this access.

Yes, you can specify different styles per forum or category, but not by usergroup.
                Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Sounds good. I'm going to have to free up the weekend and get started on this. I don't need a lot of support but just knowing it's there, and my questions won't be locked, it a big plus.

thanks

Comment

I was a phpBB user for a long time. I installed tons of mods and hacks and was never happy with the functionality level I could reach. Besides upgrading became a nightmare. I then moved to MyBB and used it for a while. Although closer to vBulletin the lack of mods and lack of customizations made it a bit restrictive. Besides its support community is still small -- but it looks very promising... However, with vBulletin now I have the best of both worlds.

vBulletin's functionality is so much that even a heavily modded phpBB board cannot come close to it. And besides its plugins and extensions system makes it really easy to customize the forum. And having the theme built into the database makes it very, very easy to duplicate and backup themes. When you make a backup of the db, you make the "full" backup of the forum along with themes, customizations etc. etc.

You won't regret moving to vBulletin. It's one product worth the money and worth more than that. Best of luck!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X