Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new forum but wary...

Hey all

I am currently on PHPBB and over the last few years it's been a nightmare. My host has been blaming me for causing the server to fall over because of it, I have had lots of downtime and errors (wordmatch table crash) I have almost been booted off the host and I am looking for a new forum, which in their eyes, PunBB is the only answer.

I have seen VB and am interested in it, and just want to know what makes it better over PHPBB, as I have bandwidth issues they want to curb (a little over 20GB) and I figure that if this truly is the problem, then they will still not like VB as you have just as many little images as PHPBB that will need to be loaded. I have a very busy forum, I have been resorting to lots of post culling to keep things less of a load and just don't want to stress over this anymore. I get so many hits which my previous host said were quite a few hack attempts as is common on PHPBB and I am wondering if this will happen on VB? Will it handle a bigger / busier forum better and with ease? Will the Mods not cause as many issues if they were added on?

I am just so wary and nervous of making the same mistake, as I mentioned I have copped lots of crap from my host and my members are sick of problems too.

Forgot to add, my database size is a problem for them too, not due to my package but what it does to the server *rolls eyes*. Here are my stats:

Number of posts:286320Number of topics:12897Number of users:3462Board started:22 Feb 2003 08:50 amDatabase size:264.98 MB

Comment

What kind of hosting package are you on? Maybe all you need is a new host! I was on shared hosting my sites was using 30 - 35 gigs a month and gave me few problems.

Comment

Yeah I figured something wasn't right, when PHPBB for example is a massive forum and has MUCH less issues than I have! So why should I get VB over PHPBB? What do you all love about it most? Will importing such a big database have probs?

Comment

A lot of things you have to "hack into" phpBB are built into vBulletin. vBulletin is much more advanced and easier to deal with as far as mods and admins are concerned. 265MB is not a huge database. There are 2+GB vBulletin forums with over 1 million posts that run just great.

I'm not going to try to convince you that vBulletin is going to solve all your problems. It's better software, but a problematic host isn't going to go away by swapping software. It may be time for you to get a server or host upgrade.

Comment

They have been trying to tell me to go for a dedicated server - you think this is a good idea then? I am also looking at new hosts, but here in Aus.

Comment

Originally posted by BellyBelly
              I am also looking at new hosts, but here in Aus.
              You could try posting your requirements at www.webhostingtalk.com.au - perhaps a VPS.

Might see you there
              Lats...

Comment

I concur. You have outgrown the typical "shared hosting". It's time for either VPS, where they divide a dedicated server 8 or 16 ways and give you a "walled off" slice of a powerful computer, or give you an entry-level dedicated server. Dedicated starts at $109/mo USD. VPS maybe $45/mo USD. I haven't looked in a while. I got into VPS when it was still the bleeding edge and it was pretty crappy but they have apparently improved a lot since then.

Comment

Originally posted by BellyBelly
                  They have been trying to tell me to go for a dedicated server - you think this is a good idea then? I am also looking at new hosts, but here in Aus.
                  i use hostnetworks.com.au for my forums, eurocca.net, and we are getting around 30gig a month at most on bandwidth, and each time i have needed to talk to them etc, they say its not a problem.

ive never had a crash, there service is always great for me, and no issues.

they are located on the gold coast, and im in melbourne as well.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X