More Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Questions

- Does it cost $30 per upgrade, or what? Sure it sounds weird but I mean if I had 1.x.x, do I just have to pay $30 to upgrade to 3.5.4?

- What happenes in upgrades? Just security, or also features?

- If i'm coverting from IPB to VB, can I just back-up everything? And how would I upload it on VB?

No, with an owned or leased license, you get one year free of software updates. After the first year, you can then optionally pay $30/year for continued access to software updates.

When an upgraded version is available, you download it from the member area, and then upload it to your server. Then you run the upgrade script and vB will do the rest.

Yes, you can back up everything. And then you run ImpEx to convert IPB to vB.
    Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Forum Dude
      - Does it cost $30 per upgrade, or what? Sure it sounds weird but I mean if I had 1.x.x, do I just have to pay $30 to upgrade to 3.5.4?
      $30 for a year of upgrades. The owned ($160) license comes with 1 year. So you can let 2-3 years go by and then upgrade.

- What happenes in upgrades? Just security, or also features?
      Security patches are free. vBulletin 2 -> vBulletin 3 was a massive architectural change and near complete rewrite of the software. vBulletin 3 -> vBulletin 3.5 added data managers and Plugins which allow you to more easily add 3rd party add-ons to vBulletin without having to edit PHP files.

- If i'm coverting from IPB to VB, can I just back-up everything? And how would I upload it on VB?
      Assuming you are running IPB on your web host, you just install vBulletin and the free ImpEx add-on for vBulletin and tell it where your IPB forum is. It will grab all the data, convert it, and get you up and running. You are encouraged to do test imports to see that all your data comes over properly.

Comment

Alright, third and second questions mostly answered, but I still have the first and a new one.

Do you NEED your customer ID # to upgrade? EX. Say I had a friend who worked for a company. They were the board owner, but had another person that worked for the company as the Root Admin, though they never gave out their account info. The company fired them, so can the other Root Admin still upgrade the board?

And also, so one year free. Then, say I let five years pass by, without paying $30 per year. DO I have to pay $30 for the latest upgrade that year? or $30 per the years that I missed?

Comment

1. Yes, you need the customer number to upgrade. That's why it's important to make sure the license owner of record is correct.

2. At the current prices you would only pay $30 even if you waited 5 years. Of course we cannot guarantee that price will be the same 5 years from now.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X