Blog and RSS Aabilities?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blog and RSS Aabilities?

I have a fairly active phpBB board loacted at www.mcadforums.com. I am looking at moving it to VB due to scalability issues. From my reading VB can do everything that my current phpBB board can but I have made a few modifications that I'd like to check into.

1. RSS feeds. I have a custom PHP page written that allows users to subscribe to a couple of RSS feeds that are culled from topics posted in the boards. Does VB have this ability?

2. "Blog" entries. I use the term blog loosley but take a look at www.sdotson.com (my other site). Notice the "blog" entries are just posts from the forums that have a keyword in the title (INVENTOR, SITE NEW, TUTORIAL) and were posted by me. Again this is a custom script. What I'd REALLY like to do is to allow admins to "approve" ANY post in the forums to become one of these NEWS items. Is there an addin or such that would allow this using VB.

Thanks for the information. Hope to be a VBer soon.

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in the vBulletin forum software and for contacting vBulletin Sales. I am glad you can convert from phpBB to vBulletin using our ImpEx software (is free for download and comes with free support) so you can use your existing data (members/posts/etc). And that vBulletin has all the features you're looking for.

1. Yes, vBulletin comes with an external data manager and provides RSS/RSS2/XML/JS type of feeds. Example:

http://www.vBulletin.com/forum/external.php?type=rss2

You can use this to only get data from specific forums too using additional &variables=forumidnumber

2. There's no official blog feature, but it is possible to set the permission so that only certain usergroups (like the admins) can start new threads and only other usergroups (like the registered members) can reply to these threads (but can't start new ones). Using a custom style for this specific forum you could make it appear as a news forum, an article forum, a blog forum, etc.

Otherwise also check vBulletin.org (official sister site for resources, free for download) where customers share their resources like blog / news / article scripts, etc.

All the best,

Comment

Thanks Floris. This is much appreciated.

Comment

Hello again,

No problem, and we're looking forward to your purchase.

All the best,

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X