Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Several pre-move transition questions. Any help greatly appreciated.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Several pre-move transition questions. Any help greatly appreciated.

I am thinkin' about moving my ezBoard to vBulletin. Too many reasons to list in one thread.

Although I've had my community for several years and several million posts, it's at ez, so this vBulletin is all new to me, and quite frankly, I feel that I'm pretty ill-prepared and over my head. I LOVE the features and functionality, but it's pretty overwhelming.

That being said, I'm a total newb and frankly, not very proficient with much of this.

Is it possible to have my forums and the posts that exist within them pulled in to my new vBulletin site?

Is it possible to have my members pulled in as well? How far does that go regarding their profiles, histort etc?

If both are possible, can they be "copied" rather than being transferred in order that my existing community at ez is untouched while I'm creating and setting up my new one?

Also, is this something I'm entirely responsible for learning to do and doing on my own, or does V offer this as support?
    I was told by the sales rep that I would need to download the software and "prepare it" then upload it to my web host. What does it mean to "prepare" my files?

At ez you just creat it online, so there is really nothing to download, upload or prepare, so this is all way over my head at this point.

Lastly, I was poking around the admin demo and didn't see where I could change my "New Thread" and "Add Reply" buttons to custom ones I've created. Where would I find that?

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.
    Last edited by deadhook; Tue 4 Apr '06, 8:23pm. Reason: add'k info

We do have an ezboard harvester. It will only bring over posts and threads. Since we have no other access to ezboard but being able to view the site. Members need to re-registered.

Your ezboard will not be modified in anyway.

You have to download the vBulletin zip, extract the files. Edit a config file, and upload them to your webhost. Once this is done 99% of everything else is done in the admincp.

You'd either edit the templates and change them, or edit the image paths and overwrite the default images.

Comment

Originally posted by deadhook
      Is it possible to have my forums and the posts that exist within them pulled in to my new vBulletin site?
      Forums and posts come over.

Is it possible to have my members pulled in as well? How far does that go regarding their profiles, histort etc?
      Users will have to re-register on the new site, but there are some tricks that allow you to associate their NEW account with their OLD posts.

Also, is this something I'm entirely responsible for learning to do and doing on my own, or does V offer this as support?
      You should be able to learn how to use vBulletin by using it. If you have been able to get through all the EZBoard control panels without too much difficulty, then you should be able to handle vBulletin (even though it has 10 times as many features).

If you have questions and you don't find the answer in the User Manual, then you are encouraged to post questions (once you've purchased vBulletin) in the How Do I forum.

I was told by the sales rep that I would need to download the software and "prepare it" then upload it to my web host. What does it mean to "prepare" my files?
      You'll have to type a few things in your web hosting control panel and then edit one configuration file that comes with vBulletin.

At ez you just creat it online, so there is really nothing to download, upload or prepare, so this is all way over my head at this point.
      Instead of thinking of how "easy" EZBoard made it, think about how pitiful the search engine is, how hard it is to ban mischievious users, how few settings and control you have over how the forum looks, and the tens of thousands of posts they lost last year because of their joke of a backup system. After 2-3 days, I wondered why I stayed with EZBoard for so long.

Lastly, I was poking around the admin demo and didn't see where I could change my "New Thread" and "Add Reply" buttons to custom ones I've created. Where would I find that?
      You can't change out the graphics in the Admin Demo, but it is very easy to replace the buttons once you have vBulletin running on your website.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X