Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zend Core for Oracle (5.0.5) support?

Dear Sirs,

Because we already develop with Oracle, we've picked Zend Core for Oracle (PHP v5.0.5) for PHP development. Reportedly, they're waiting for "user experience" before upgrading it to v5.1.x, although they have "backported" the security upgrades into their 5.0.5.

Also, based on other recommendations, we've picked MySQL 5.0.19-nt, to support forum operations, for a new web site. (Oracle support would be nice, but that doesn't appear realistic at the moment.)

How well does vBulletin integrate with these two supporting tools?

Also, what third-party website content-management systems work with vBulletin?

-Phil Colbert

vBulletin 3.5 should work with php 5.0.5 and MySQL 5.0.19

At this time I'm not directly aware of any third party CMS's that intergrate on any detailed level.

Comment

There are "bridges" which allow users to be logged into both the CMS and the forum, but it's not what I would call "integrated".

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
        vBulletin 3.5 should work with php 5.0.5 and MySQL 5.0.19.
        Thanks! I'll give it a try.

At this time I'm not directly aware of any third party CMS's that intergrate on any detailed level.
        Here's one which lists vBulletin 2 and 3 integration (among others):
        http://www.subdreamer.com/home

-Phil Colbert

Comment

Dear Sirs,

Thanks for the feedback. Here's some feedback for you.

Per your documentation, which strongly suggests the mysqli plug-in over plain mysql, I uninstalled PHP's plain mysql plug-in, and installed mysqli instead.

Next, per your web site's suggestion, I downloaded and tried your test script.

It didn't work. It took me the better part of an afternoon to figure out why.

Whoever wrote your test script appears to have ignored the mysqli recommendation. It uses mysql exclusively. No mysqli. Once that was uncovered, it was easy enough for this programmer to fix.

But many of your prospects may not be that persistent -- or PHP-aware. After all, one reason for buying software is so you don't have to know the guts -- or the language -- in detail. Anyone in that position will likely note the failure, and move on to another product.

I'm attaching the modified version of the test script. After you've checked it out, you may want to make it available to mysqli users, and to non-PHP-conversant prospects, who may not spot (or care about) the difference.

Better still, if you could make a single, auto-sensing script...

Anyway, thanks for the test script. It was a lot easier to check (and fix) than a full installation would be. With the success reported by the (modified) script, it looks like everythings's clear to download and install a trial installation.

-Phil Colbert
          Attached Files

Comment

You shouldn't un-install mysql, mysql is just a stock mysql libarys, mysqli also works, having both won't hurt anything, and not all scripts in the world take advantage of mysqli.

Comment

I wrote the script and it was written prior to mysqli, I didn't ignore any recommendation because it didn't exist at the time. vBulletin does work with mysqli and I'll make note to update the test script tomorrow first thing.
              Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

vBulletin 3.5 should work with php 5.0.5 and MySQL 5.0.19

There is a drupal integration hack at vbulletin.org.

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showt...ghlight=drupal

Jelsoft doesn't support thrid pary modifications like this though. Just giving you a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott MacVicar
                  I wrote the script and it was written prior to mysqli, I didn't ignore any recommendation because it didn't exist at the time. vBulletin does work with mysqli and I'll make note to update the test script tomorrow first thing.
                  Sorry. Guess I needed a PHP history lesson. And I might be wrong about this community, too. If we're all experienced PHP programmers, the test script would be a trivial thing for anyone trying it.

My background is primarily in compiled languages, for the last thirty years, so clearly I have quite a lot to learn.

You shouldn't un-install mysql, mysql is just a stock mysql libarys, mysqli also works, having both won't hurt anything, and not all scripts in the world take advantage of mysqli.
                  So, some of the optional MODs might depend on the mysql extension?

Since the extensions don't conflict, I'll re-enable the mysql extension, just in case.

Thanks for the tips.

-Phil

Comment

We use a DB abstraction layer so $db->query $db->fetch_array wrap around mysql / mysqli regardless
                    Scott MacVicar

My Blog | Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Colbert
                      Sorry. Guess I needed a PHP history lesson. And I might be wrong about this community, too. If we're all experienced PHP programmers, the test script would be a trivial thing for anyone trying it.

My background is primarily in compiled languages, for the last thirty years, so clearly I have quite a lot to learn.

So, some of the optional MODs might depend on the mysql extension?

Since the extensions don't conflict, I'll re-enable the mysql extension, just in case.

Thanks for the tips.

-Phil
                      Possibly, However, other programs, ad banner rotation, and in general other scripts, might nto support mysqli, so its best to have both

Comment