No announcement yet.

Would it be possible on vB?????........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it be possible on vB?????........

A) To install a hack which would add the option of a caption for avatars, which would appear below the avatar, like on ProBoards? Example: See text under avatars.

B) To allow members to change their display name themselves?

These are the only things I would like vB to do on top of what it does already.

Thanks

This requires modifying the code. We don't provide official support for code modifications, but once you are a customer you can try asking for help with this over at vbulletin.org.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

So both are possible?

Great

Comment

Another question.

Could the 'New Posts' section be modified to show the posts in full, about 10 of them? With reply and quote buttons?

Comment

Almost anything is possible if you want to custom code it. Just be aware that we cannot provide official support for custom coding of forums running non-vB code.
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob B
            Another question.

Could the 'New Posts' section be modified to show the posts in full, about 10 of them? With reply and quote buttons?
            You can show the posts by default, however not all of it, and there would not be any reply or quopet buttons.

Comment

A) This could be done as a Custom User Profile Field which would not require any programming, just a template mod. Note that users will have to enter their Avatar on one page and do the caption on another page of their settings/user CP panel.

B) This could also be done as a Custom User Profile Field and a template mod to postbit where if the field is SET, it would show one thing, if the field is NOT set, it would show their Username.

There is no built-in support in vBulletin for display names though.

Comment

I would like to keep Custom Titles as well though.

I don't want to take away from my members what they are used to which is why I am asking about these two modifications.

1) Won't it be possible, at all, to add another field to the avatar section for an avatar caption WITHOUT taking away custom titles? My forum would use the old style vertical post bits rather than the horizontal one.

2) Is there a way, in the 'New Posts' section of displaying the post, rather than a link to the thread?

ALSO.....

3) Could I have a board modified so it can act as a community blog? All I would require is 'new thread' and 'reply' buttons changed to read 'new entry' and 'new comment'. Also a 'New Invite' button to replace new thread on another board
                Last edited by Rob B; Sat 1 Apr '06, 3:38pm.

Comment

A) Custom Titles and Custom Profile Fields are two entirely different things. You can add as many custom profile fields as you want. Existing examples: MSN, AIM, ICQ, etc.

2) I know of no way to do this.

3) There are Blog add-ons to vBulletin but I don't think there's anything like what you're talking. A community blog is, IMO, a forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                    You can show the posts by default
                    How is this done?

Comment

If you've purchased vBulletin, then the "How Do I?" forum is where you want to post this kind of request.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X