Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

total newbie question - can I do this myself?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• total newbie question - can I do this myself?

Hi,

My apologies in advance if this is a silly question....

I have a site in mind that I would like to start with its main focus/feature being the forums section. From the research that I've done you guys seem to have the best (paid) software around so I've decided to use vBulletin. However, I wanted to know the following before purchasing:
    While I work as a Systems Administrator full time I know next to nothing when it comes to web design (i know basic HTML if that counts for anything) or programming in general for that matter. So my question is: is there any chance that I'd be able to set up & customize vBulletin on my own (obviously with a lot of help from the support forum and I would consider even 1 month of phone support)? Or is this something I'd have to give to web designer?
    I would really like to try and do this myself 1. for the experience & knowlege & 2. to potentially save some $$.

TIA.

Yep, with just little HTML knowledge you can easily update the design and colors, etc.

Check out our admin demo and see for yourself before you purchase.

http://www.vBulletin.com/admindemo

http://www.vBulletin.com/docs/html

Comment

Thanks Floris.

2 more questions -
      1 -I keep reading about "hacks" or modifications that can be downloaded at vBulletin.org. Do I need a background in programming for those?

2 - the hosting plan I'm looking at is offering 25 MySQL databases at 100MB each. Is that enough? Or rather, if my database fills up 1 of those 100MB databases, any idea if it'll just roll over to the next one? The hosting service is at www.1and1.com.

thanks.
      Last edited by abneb217; Mon 27 Mar '06, 4:15pm.

Comment

1. That depends on the hack or plugin. Some are easier to install than others.

2. You should do a search on these forums for posts about 1and1 hosting. Personally I'd stay away from a plan that limited the size of your databases to 100Mb each.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by abneb217
          1 -I keep reading about "hacks" or modifications that can be downloaded at vBulletin.org. Do I need a background in programming for those?
          If you focus on Plugins and Products which do not require editing PHP or configuration files, you will be in good shape. What you need to consider is the amount of effort it takes to upgrade your forum to each incremental version. For instance, if you install a Product (a collection of plugins which make up a larger add-on of some kind) which require you to modify 2 templates, then you may need to modify those templates when a new version of vBulletin comes out if you want to stay up-to-date. Not every vBulletin upgrade will require you to "synch up" the templates. Just keep good notes on which modifications you're installing. Avoid ones that require you to modify PHP files.

Originally posted by abneb217
          2 - the hosting plan I'm looking at is offering 25 MySQL databases at 100MB each. Is that enough? Or rather, if my database fills up 1 of those 100MB databases, any idea if it'll just roll over to the next one? The hosting service is at www.1and1.com.
          I don't understand why a popular, top-rated web host like 1and1 has such an absurd limitation on MySQL databases. I contacted them and got this response:

Originally posted by 1and1support
          I understand your frustration with the issue, as we allow a 100MB limit on our MySQL databases. However, this is not to say that it will always be this way. Whenever we make changes to our plans and limits, it is because of concerned customers such as yourself. We appreciate your feedback on this matter. I have gone ahead and passed this over to the people who would make the decisions to change these sort of things.
          If you are already locked into 1and1 or otherwise really want to use them, you can configure vBulletin to not use the MySQL database storage for certain things -- attachments, avatars, and search indexes (see Fulltext). You might be able to run for several years on 1and1 with these settings.
          Last edited by feldon23; Tue 28 Mar '06, 6:07am.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
            If you are already locked into 1and1 or otherwise really want to use them, you can configure vBulletin to not use the MySQL database storage for certain things -- attachments, avatars, and search indexes (see Fulltext). You might be able to run for several years on 1and1 with these settings.
            thanks Steve & Feldon for all the info - I think I'll be able to handle this myself (even thinking of getting a php beginners book for the future. can you recommend any? ).
            Feldon - since I see in your sig that you also recommend to stay away from 1and1, (I apologize if this has been asked of you a million times) but can you recommend to me a good & reliable host without limitations (or with far less limitations than 1and1) on the MySQL database & that is generally regarded as a good place to host a vBulletin forum? Ideally, I'd like a place that's comparable in price to 1and1 (could be a little more but not a lot), that's reliable (no servers going down once a week) & with good phone support.
            (I have started doing research here & elsewhere regarding hosts but there seems to be TOO much info out there and it's only making my decision harder)

Comment

WebHostingTalk.com is a useful resource.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23
                WebHostingTalk.com is a useful resource.
                thanks - i found that site while reading some threads here but it seems to have too much info - but to be fair I only spent about an hour there...guess I'll have to give it another try.

Anyway, I have another question now - I know that vBulletin can be run in many languages other than english but can it run in "mixed mode" - meaning english as default but mixing in a secondary language as the user chooses?

Comment

Yes, although the actual discussions won't be translated! Just all the verbiage used by vBulletin. Everything from "Quote message in reply?" up to the longer error and other messages.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X