Please help me decide!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me decide!

I've been pressured to buy vBulletin because I've always thought vB is supposed to be better but some things about Invision Power Board really attracts me and makes me hesitate. They are the things that are better than vBulletin:

1) Perpetual license and free upgrade to all future versions. How great is that? IPB gets better and better so rapidly and is catching up with vBulletin. Once is surpasses vB, which might even me soon, then I get to have that great version for free, in contrast to paying $30 more for vB when one year has passed.

2) Clean interface! IPB is so much prettier compared to vB, whether the frontend or the admin CP. I mean they put so much effort into looks and feel. vB admin panel is rather cluttered and boring compared to one in IPB and the frontend of vB is in no way better looking than the one in IPB. But I've got to admit vB admin CP does offer comprehensive control but it doesn't all have to be listed like that.

3) Load time? I've always been hearing that vBulletin is slightly slow to very slow and that IPB is always faster than IPB. If vB is slightly slower in an unnoticeable way then I guess that's fine but if it's much slower, then that should be a problem.

4) I have heard that IPB has cleaner code than vB and vice versa about all aspects such as templates etc. I have no idea which is true.

5) Google Adsense integration seems easier for IPB. All you have to do is put the code in the wrapper template and it shows on every page. I have the impression that you have to put the code in many templates for vB.

6) Fast development. IPB is coming up with many new features day by day plus it has great modification community. vB seems to be just stuck with whatever features it had in the beginning and has almost no change between updates. For example, vB doesn't have inline moderation and doesn't look like it plan to.

7) vB is expensive. IPB is expensive also but $185 is all you'll ever pay. I hardly need support so I don't need to pay another $30 after 1 year if I purchase IPB. On the other hand, I have to pay the additional fee just to upgrade to a new version after 1 year.

I've been hearing that vB is more secure than IPB. How is that?

I acknowledge that vBulletin is great in its way and has a superb support and community and that most professional and popular forums use it. But why do the most popular forums use vBulletin? What does vB have that IPB doesn't and vice versa? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? What are some things in vBulletin that makes me say, "Great! And that's why I choose vBulletin!"?
    Last edited by poli; Mon 27 Mar '06, 9:58am.

3) Load time? I've always been hearing that vBulletin is slightly slow to very slow and that IPB is always faster than IPB. If vB is slightly slower in an unnoticeable way then I guess that's fine but if it's much slower, then that should be a problem.
    vb runs some of the busiest forums on the net, albeit with some modification. If it can cope with them it can cope with your board I'm sure. Go to www.big-boards.com and see how many in the top twenty-five use vb compared to the number that use IPB.

5) Google Adsense integration seems easier for IPB. All you have to do is put the code in the wrapper template and it shows on every page. I have the impression that you have to put the code in many templates for vB.
    vB gives you a lot of customisation options, it allows you to place adds where ever you want. It even allows you the ability to only display them to specific usergroups etc fairly easily.

6) Fast development. IPB is coming up with many new features day by day plus it has great modification community. vB seems to be just stuck with whatever features it had in the beginning and has almost no change between updates. For example, vB doesn't have inline moderation and doesn't look like it plan to.
    Yes it does.
    Last edited by Cromulent; Mon 27 Mar '06, 10:19am.

Comment

Originally posted by poli
      1) Perpetual license and free upgrade to all future versions. How great is that? IPB gets better and better so rapidly and is catching up with vBulletin. Once is surpasses vB, which might even me soon, then I get to have that great version for free, in contrast to paying $30 more for vB when one year has passed.
      Yes, however you pay for support, many customers choose to not always upgrade and patch instead. What happens with IPB in 2 years if you need urgent priority support? You are going to pay for it
      2) Clean interface! IPB is so much prettier compared to vB, whether the frontend or the admin CP. I mean they put so much effort into looks and feel. vB admin panel is rather cluttered and boring compared to one in IPB and the frontend of vB is in no way better looking than the one in IPB. But I've got to admit vB admin CP does offer comprehensive control but it doesn't all have to be listed like that.
      Personal prefrences mostly, I am not a huge fan of tabs, and I like the way I have comprehensive control over my settings, rather than a pretty and fun interface.
      There is no way to directly compare two forums, however vBulletin can have 1600 users browsing a single thread, and the server not break a sweat.

4) I have heard that IPB has cleaner code than vB and vice versa about all aspects such as templates etc. I have no idea which is true.
      Cleaner code by whos standards? Again, a personal prefernece I would guess.
      No, You could add ads to your forums, easily, only editing a single template. If you want them to appear in multiple areas, or in differnt areas, then it would require multiple edits to differnt templates. However to just show some ads, would require an edit to where you wanted them to be displayed.

vBulletin has had inline moderation, since 3.5.0 Beta1, and had other features that IPB didn't have prior to 2.1.

7) vB is expensive. IPB is expensive also but $185 is all you'll ever pay. I hardly need support so I don't need to pay another $30 after 1 year if I purchase IPB. On the other hand, I have to pay the additional fee just to upgrade to a new version after 1 year.
      I believe we have discussed this already. But, what happens when something major crashes and you have no clue how to fix it?
      I've been hearing that vB is more secure than IPB. How is that?

I acknowledge that vBulletin is great in its way and has a superb support and community and that most professional and popular forums use it. But why do the most popular forums use vBulletin? What does vB have that IPB doesn't and vice versa? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? What are some things in vBulletin that makes me say, "Great! And that's why I choose vBulletin!"?
      Customer, Community, and Developer support, for life.

Comment

I might have made a mistake but I remember there is something that had to do with moderation that many asked for but was rejected by the development staff.

Also, how is vBulletin more "professional" than other forum software? Is it just because many companies or popular forums use it? Wouldn't that be some sort of an elitist marketing?

Why can't vBulletin just make the software a lot better looking like IPB's?

Comment

Inline moderation was never denied, when it was suggested for 3.0 it was already asked for past the feature freeze.

I think I'd rather let our current customers anwser that question, It probally differs from person to person

Can you define better looking? There are many people who ask for "better looking" but they can never define what it is. Not everyone likes everything, and honestly there are very many people who are satiasified with the styles. However, if you are not you can easily change it yourself, or go so far as to purcahse a premade, or custom style.

Comment

Okay so let me get this straight. When you have an owned license, you can keep vBulletin forever but you don't have access to upgrades after 1 year. However, you will always be provided with security patches for free. That means you don't have the new features of the new version but have the security of the new version. Is that correct?

Also, you get support from the vBulletin community for life? So access to vBulletin.org etc. too even after 1 year?

I assume many people here would wait until something like vBulletin 4 to renew their access to upgrades?

Sounds great. At IPB, you may get access to all future versions, but support only lasts one year. I would not pay another $30 for that horrid customer service that people are talking about. Although IPB has all those "prettiness" with all that good-lookingness with great new features, I'm sure vBulletin will somehow stay above of them. I believe 2.6 is in "heavy" development? I wonder what great new things will vB staff come with this time? It has to be good after hours and hours of specialized effort. This is what vBulletin stands out in. The community is one of the most important aspects in buying a forum software.

One more question: vBulletin is less hackable and hacked than any others right? In other words, it's the most secure?

Comment

The patches are usualy provided in the announcement; they are mostly plugins now since 3.5 allows this capability. All you have to do is download it, upload it into via the plugin system, and done. Installing patches doesn't upgrade you to the new version (a common misconception for some reason); it just patches any security fixes.

Yes, support is for life. The $30 affects the renewal fee to gain access to downloads only

3.6, not 2.6. Yes, it's in heavy development at the moment. If you read around the forums (particularly the 3.5 Suggestions and Feedback forum), you can find posts from the developers explaining some new features that are coming up.

vBulletin's security is probably one of the best out there. While it is very secure, if there is ever a security breach discovered, it is usually resolved in 24 hours or less and a patch released (usually accompanied by several bug fixes and maybe minor features as well in the new version).
              Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

I've always thought that vB looked a lot more professional than IPB anyway.

Comment

I'll only answer this, as pretty much everything else has been said.
                  vBulletin has extremely clear and well structured code. Additionally, there is an API Documentation, giving you an overview of all the functions and classes in vBulletin, incase you ever need it.
                  Best Regards
                  Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Very well done! You have now created a potential customer out of me! IPB is completely blown out of my mind!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X