VPS for vbulletin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VPS for vbulletin?

Do I need a VPS or my current shared hosting will do? My phpbb forum is a little over a year old with 700 members, total posts of about 55000. More people are joining and posting everyday and now my forum has slowed down considerably. My host is now blaming my forum for bogging down their servers. So, my question is will moving to vBulltein speed up my forum or do I need to move to a VPS?

Thanks!

Pete

Hi

It's a bit hard to say, as a lot of variables have an influence on the server load. While vBulletin is optimized very much, there are some limits there too.
    How many users do you generally have online at one time?
    Best Regards
    Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
      Hi

It's a bit hard to say, as a lot of variables have an influence on the server load. While vBulletin is optimized very much, there are some limits there too.
      How many users do you generally have online at one time?
      I would guess 10-20 or so online at the same time sometimes but the forum is growing fast and more people joining almost everyday.

Comment

Shared hosting should be fine. If you only have around 20 users online at one time, then I don't see how your host could be blaming you.
        <Onimua> Congrats Chroder
        <Onimua> You're a daddy.
        <Chroder> eh
        <Onimua> :)
        <Chroder> uh oh

Comment

Originally posted by derekivey
          Shared hosting should be fine. If you only have around 20 users online at one time, then I don't see how your host could be blaming you.
          I don't know but I have heard the same complaints from their other customers. My host suggested I move to a VPS.

Comment

To be honest, I'd switch to a different host then, as this one doesn't seem to be very flexible.
            A switch to vBulletin will probably help too, but if you expect your forum to grow you'll simply be postponing an upgrade or switching of the host.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Yes, phpBB tends to be more of a resource hog, especially if you have lots of mods installed. vBulletin is built to be fast, so it probably would help to switch.
              <Onimua> Congrats Chroder
              <Onimua> You're a daddy.
              <Chroder> eh
              <Onimua> :)
              <Chroder> uh oh

Comment

Originally posted by derekivey
                Yes, phpBB tends to be more of a resource hog, especially if you have lots of mods installed. vBulletin is built to be fast, so it probably would help to switch.
                Yes, my phpbb forum is heavily modded. I'm still planning to make the switch but I need to save up first for a owned lic.

Comment

como bajo el idioma español para mi foro me lo vendieron en ingles y no se nada de ingles

Comment

Originally posted by Siniestro
                    como bajo el idioma español para mi foro me lo vendieron en ingles y no se nada de ingles
                    what does that means ?
                    TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

I'm having the same problem.

Threads: 14,619, Posts: 180,044, Members: 3,989

I average around 30-60 people on at the same time.

I also have PhotoPost integrated:

Statistics
                      Users: 3,989
                      Photos: 2,976
                      Comments: 9,783
                      Views: 2,441,262
                      Disk Space: 391.1mb

My host is cutting me off, too.

Now I need a VPS at around $90 a month???

Comment

Originally posted by Teresa
                        I'm having the same problem.

Threads: 14,619, Posts: 180,044, Members: 3,989

I average around 30-60 people on at the same time.

I also have PhotoPost integrated:

Statistics
                        Users: 3,989
                        Photos: 2,976
                        Comments: 9,783
                        Views: 2,441,262
                        Disk Space: 391.1mb

My host is cutting me off, too.

Now I need a VPS at around $90 a month???
                        you can try various vps options offerred by servint here:
                        http://www.servint.net/vps/compare.php for as low as 50$
                        TechArena - TechArena Community - News - Download - Video - Guide - Review

Comment

Idioma Espanol (Spanish Language)

Originally posted by Siniestro
                          The guy is asking for help about the Spanish Language for VB all over the forum.

"Siniestro" entra aqui para bajar el paquete de idioma espanol, sigue las instrucciones. (Please go here to download the Spanish pack)

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=157096
                          HobbiesPR.com - Hobbies Radio Control Forum
                          AnytimeHosting.com

Comment

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I purchased vB and already installed and migrated my phpbb forum and it is the best purchase I have ever made for my forum. The forum now runs so much faster and no more annoying CPU quota messages. I do realize that I still may have to move to a VPS when the forums gets even more busier but for now, vB is a lifesaver! Thanks for listening!

Pete

Comment

We are in a similar situation
                              We are using Infopop Threads and would like to swith to Vbulletin
                              Our current boads has many mods and we would like to have "some"mods in Vbulletin too

We have from 200 to 600 users online within 30 minutes...
                              We use a decidated server

Will Vbulletin be faster than UBBthreads?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X