Question about conversion method.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about conversion method.

I read the installation instructions and the import (for phpBB) instructions and I searched this forum but there was one question that I could not figure out...

The instructions state to keep the old forum running while importing. I got that. If the old forum keep running and growing after the import (while new one is being readied) can you import the new threads and users from the time that the initial import was done?

I saw an option for "Check/update database" and I was not sure if this was the function of that.

I figured that it will take me about two days to get the new forum ready with all the features that the old forum had. So is the best method to import, customize...or to customize then import?

Thanks and looking forward to joining the vBulletin family.

I believe it was meant as 'keep the old forum where it is - but you can close it to prevent new users and posts' .. this is usually the best way to give impex full access to the database. You can just leave the old forum where it is, but close it ....

Can be very confusing, sorry.

Comment

That is what I thought "they meant" but I wanted to be sure you could...but it is still better to customize vB and then do the import after all features have been loaded.

Comment

You can keep the old forum running while doing a test import, and then turn it off as soon as you go for the real import.
        Best Regards
        Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Thanks...so if I do a second import the posts will not get duplicated and only the new posts will be imported?

Comment

No, it'll delete all the posts you imported the first time and reimport all the posts.
            Best Regards
            Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Thank you so much. That is exactly what I wanted to hear (read).

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X