Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACP Backup System

Hello,
    I have had no luck with the admin control panel's backup system, and from what I've been hearing no one has either so they have to use phpMyAdmin or Telnet/SSH.

So my question is... why is it there if it doesn't work? Or is there a way to make it work?

It does work when you have a smaller board, but as when your board gets bigger and bigger, it becomes a totally different story
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Depending on your servers configuration, php will time out after a certain amount of time if a script takes too long to exeucute. Unforunately, backing up a large db via php script will lead to such time outs.

I'd like to see vb change that to a php initiated ssh script but I imagine that would take some additional work on the users end.
      Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Wouldn't it also need some basic permissions on the serverside as well to execute a SSH script?
        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

I think the backup mechanism in vBulletin could be rewritten to backup a bite-at-a-time.

BigDump and MySQLDumper are examples of two standalone PHP scripts that accomplish a complete 100% integrity MySQL backup by downloading the database a bite-at-a-time. I'm sure that Jelsoft is probably testing this software and making a determination about A) which is the best and B) whether to license one of these programs or write their own and include it with vBulletin.

The status quo of:
          Newbie user: "How hard is vBulletin to install?"
          Jelsoft: "Very easy."
          Newbie user: "How do I back it up?"
          Jelsoft: "Do you know how to use a command line?"
          Newbie user: "What's that? I just want a nightly backup that I can download any time I need."
          Jelsoft: "Do you know what a shell script is?"
          can be eliminated.

Comment

Ah, thank you and I completely agree feldon. If you were to use the backup from the acp, would there be any faults or security issues with it?

Comment

another mysql backup tool that is really good, which i use is navicat.com enterprise, its got some really cool stuff in it, it might help you
              Robert - Music is my caffeine!

Comment

Bigdump is for importing a backup.
                That means that you first need a backup-file that can be imported.
                So Bigdump won't help in this case.

MySQLDumper can backup and restore your database - no matter what size it is.
                Just to inform you: there is a hack at http://www.vbhacks-germany.com/forum...ht=mysqldumper that integrates MySQLDumper into your vb-acp.
                Get this and you will always have a full backup of your board.
                When you can execute Perl you even can use MSD to automize your backups. All you need is a cronjob that starts the crondump.pl-Script included in MSD.
                Have fun and be happy with your working backups.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X