Upgrade from Invision to VBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from Invision to VBulletin

I have been using Invision (Latest version) over 2 years and it is going well. Tell me why should ugrade from Invision to VBulletin?

Because vBulletin is better than IPB, and I had IPB =P

Anyways I personally like vB better, its a much powerful forum software, and many people like it (the majority) also vBulletin looks like expensive forum software. And you can get better hacks for vB.

Comment

Originally posted by echo_unlimited

Anyways I personally like vB better, its a much powerful forum software, and many people like it (the majority) also vBulletin looks like expensive forum software. And you can get better hacks for vB.
      Have you actually used IPB to validate your claim?

Comment

Come on mate, you have to explain alot better than that.

Comment

Well, there's several reasons I could think of:

Support: With 24-7, 365-day support which is usually answered in under an hour, you never really have to worry about something going wrong and not solving it within a reasonable amount of time. As far as I know, IPS only deals with support on weekends. Plus, pretty much all the staff know anything and everything (for the most part) that deals with vBulletin, so anyone from Jelsoft who answers you knows what they are talking about and can deal with it appropriately (minus waiting for some other superior to deal with your problem unless it's that bad).

Development: The vBulletin developers, if you look around, are all quite involved with the community. They list to suggestions, take them in, revise them, ask for explinations, etc. They even have time to offer support on bother support tickets and threads. Not to mention that vBulletin gives you various choices and configurations on how to set up your forum.

Plugins: With plugins, you can pretty much install most, if not all your wanted add-ons, with a simple click of a button. No more file modifying involved (or, at least very limited). vBulletin.org has plenty of those, as well as skins, templates, hacks, etc.

Skinning: Skinning with vBulletin is quite easy as well. Rather than dealing with literally hundreds of CSS classes, everything is handled quite nicely in one simple form. On top of that, editing the templates is quite easy as well. With the Template History feature, you can save edited versions of your templates, and compare them to each other or to the default template.

Nothing to Hide: You'll never find Jelsoft hiding and/or deleting threads without good reason. If you look, there have been plenty of discussions about vBulletin compared to other products. Unlike IPS, they welcome them and use it to better their own product as they see it as a form of feedback. If such threads do get closed, it's usually because of heated debates; something to be expected I guess.

Look through the Admin Demo and look for yourself if you already haven't and make up your mind based on that. Look through the documentation for extra information in detail as well.

Ask, and we will answer. There's most likely a bunch more I'm leaving out, but I suppose that will do for now.
          Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Originally posted by poolking
            Have you actually used IPB to validate your claim?
            Yes I had a forum called "echounlimited.be/forums" but my host went broke and deleted everything, with out notification, my forum was #1 on google when you hit the search queiry "echo unlimited forums". @[email protected]

Sorry, for the bad explanations, but I find vBulletin more professional, and it has a better SEO

Anyways the dude above me has explained it all.
            Last edited by echo_unlimited; Mon 13th Feb '06, 1:54pm.

Comment

I will say this right off the bat: There is no need for you to switch if you have been using IPB for the last 2 years and are satisfied with it. IPB is a great piece of software, and worth every penny. Don't consider switching to vBulletin unless you really dislike IPB. Keep in mind that while both BBS solutions are very similar to one another, they each have their pros and cons, their unique features, and different layouts.

For example, IPB 2.1.x uses a very neat and clean tabbed ACP. In my opinion, I much prefer this to the vB 3.5.x ACP. I also prefer the stock look of IPB 2.1.x versus vB 3.5.x. But while IPB may have a cleaner ACP and stock layout, vB simply has more features. What comes standard in vB may require a hack in IPB. And while more features doesn't necessarily equal better software, many of the extra features vB has are actually useful.

As a person who actually owns both an IPB and vB license, I can tell that IPB's support is just as good as vB, even if the times of operation may vary. Ignore any blind "vB is #1 in support!!!!!" fanboyism. But therein lies its weakness; IPB, as far as I know, does not offer weekend support, whereas vB does. That may be more valuable to you, but the actual quality of support is the same for both products, which is very good to excellent.

In the end, you can't go wrong, no matter which software you choose. Like I said, if you like IPB, stick with it.
              Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz
                I will say this right off the bat: There is no need for you to switch if you have been using IPB for the last 2 years and are satisfied with it. IPB is a great piece of software, and worth every penny. Don't consider switching to vBulletin unless you really dislike IPB. Keep in mind that while both BBS solutions are very similar to one another, they each have their pros and cons, their unique features, and different layouts.

For example, IPB 2.1.x uses a very neat and clean tabbed ACP. In my opinion, I much prefer this to the vB 3.5.x ACP. I also prefer the stock look of IPB 2.1.x versus vB 3.5.x. But while IPB may have a cleaner ACP and stock layout, vB simply has more features. What comes standard in vB may require a hack in IPB. And while more features doesn't necessarily equal better software, many of the extra features vB has are actually useful.

As a person who actually owns both an IPB and vB license, I can tell that IPB's support is just as good as vB, even if the times of operation may vary. Ignore any blind "vB is #1 in support!!!!!" fanboyism. But therein lies its weakness; IPB, as far as I know, does not offer weekend support, whereas vB does. That may be more valuable to you, but the actual quality of support is the same for both products, which is very good to excellent.

In the end, you can't go wrong, no matter which software you choose. Like I said, if you like IPB, stick with it.
                To add my 2 cents worth as one who also owns Invision and Vbulletin license, concerning support:

Invision: My experience as of late is that it takes 24 hours to get a response from a support ticket. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but 24 hour average.

VBulletin: My tickets as of late have been answered in about an hour more or less.

Also I feel that Vbulletin support is more helpful and polite in their responses while Invision don't really listen to your problem and want to be helpful, they just send back stock replies.

These have been my experiences during the past 30 days, yours may vary.

Comment

Yes I had a forum called "echounlimited.be/forums" but my host went broke and deleted everything, with out notification, my forum was #1 on google when you hit the search queiry "echo unlimited forums". @[email protected]

Sorry, for the bad explanations, but I find vBulletin more professional, and it has a better SEO

Anyways the dude above me has explained it all.
                  Of course your forum would be #1 on google if you typed your forums name in. I type my forums name in on google and it comes up #1. Not exactly coincidence. And it doesn't mean your forum is #1.

Support: With 24-7, 365-day support which is usually answered in under an hour, you never really have to worry about something going wrong and not solving it within a reasonable amount of time. As far as I know, IPS only deals with support on weekends. Plus, pretty much all the staff know anything and everything (for the most part) that deals with vBulletin, so anyone from Jelsoft who answers you knows what they are talking about and can deal with it appropriately (minus waiting for some other superior to deal with your problem unless it's that bad).
                  Maybe thats not how it meant to sound, but their support IS during the weekend and during the week. I don't know about or what Jelsoft is, but IPB is an actual brick and mortar business. They staff their weekends less than during the week. And while I appreciate a fans knowledge of that product, I would rather wait for support or word from those directly involved. I do the same on every forum. Doesnt matter if its IPB, VB, or whoever.

But while IPB may have a cleaner ACP and stock layout, vB simply has more features. What comes standard in vB may require a hack in IPB. And while more features doesn't necessarily equal better software, many of the extra features vB has are actually useful.

I would like to see specifics rather than a vague comment. The most common response I see here when a feature is asked, is to check at VB.org. IMO that means the forum generally has LESS features and is relying more on a fluxuating modding community that may and may not support its hacks. And while I admire some hackers hard work, I also don't like having so many hacks/plug-ins installed that my queries get upped significantly or to rely on shoddy support for that hack/plug-in, if there is any. What can be an otherwise great hack, ends up getting tossed to the back and bad word of mouth because of lack of support/bug fixes.

I guess it all depends on what is considered 'useful' to that person. On vb.org I requested/asked about a download system thats comparable to one I found on invisionize, for VB. Guess what. It doesn't exist unless you wanna fork over about $80 and even then it is missing some of the key features and is a multi-forum software.

Multi-quote is very useful. Rather than going through a thread and trying to copy and paste whatever it is you want to quote (like I had to do with this post), you simply click on a small icon next to that post (for each post), then hit reply. Sure theres a similar mod on VB.org. Not as good or the same. (I've tried it.) Same for multi-poll.

Once again most of those features/hacks/plug-ins, you are left at the mercy of the coder. While some members may help, sometimes, if you are lucky, it could take awhile for a response. My experiences with VB.org overall have been VERY mixed. IMO more dissapointing than anything else.

But anyways, my experience with VB support has been good. While IPB's sometimes (yes sometimes) is slower, I have had zero problems with them in terms of how I have been treated. I have NEVER recieved a canned response from IPB OR VB. And have been treated well by both.

I don't normally need support. So for me thats not as much of an issue.

Both IPB and VB are good software.

But like at IPB, you are only for the most part gonna recieved 'canned' "which forum software is best?" responses here. The obvious "VB is better...' sort of responses. Thats like going to a Chevy site and asking if Ford is better. Pure biasedness. But the fact so many people compare the 2, means both are closer than some would like to think...and that both are popular.

I could go on and on about both software but in the end it comes down to you and your sites/members wants and needs. Some hacks and plug-ins work fine at first. But if your site picks up traffic, you may notice a noticeable slowdown of your forum, depending on the type of server you are on.

While skinning VB may be a bit easier than IPB...and the plug-in module has been exploited alot for VB (but has been available for IPB since 2.0. Its just a matter of coders doing more with it.), I feel integration seems cleaner and better with IPB for many of its own hacks and has fewer generally sql queries. Overall my experience with both is that IPB is more rewarding with what you can do with the skins than VB is. Same for hacks. (At least quality of integration into the site.) I visit alot of sites that use both. And IMO VB relies too much on tables, limiting some of the users actually skinning flexibility.

Anyways, what it all comes down to is what suits your needs and the needs of your members. Regardless of what some here would have you think, both IPB and VB are good forum software. Just because you use VB or IPB doesnt guarantee your site or forum will do well. There are many more factors than that. My website members might prefer IPB, but yours might prefer VB...while other prefer PHPBB (god forbid).

Don't listen to the fanboys. Visit other sites and ask their opinions too.

Last edited by whitetigergrowl; Mon 13th Feb '06, 6:35pm.

Comment

Welcome back

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X