Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Purchasing Questions

Hey Y'all,

What's up? Just a few basic questions that I'm sure you get all the time. I am planning on starting a forum for hotel employees like myself that can share stories/network/answer questions and so forth. This is going to be a widely advertised board with the amount of hotels in the country. I have been doing a lil bit of research throughout different communities and found vB to be the best. Only thing is, I'm not sure which package I should get. Bear with me cuz I'm not too familiar with computer jargon anymore. I just don't know how much space I should request with the size its going to be. Also, does vB have a host company they use so I don't have to purchase a server for the house and is that an additional amount? I think everyone gets the kind of answers I'm lookin for. Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

Welcome to vBulletin.

There is only 1 package available for purchase, there are however 2 different kinf of licenses:
    - The Leased License: You purchase the right to use vBulletin for 1 year. After this year is finished you must either renew your license, or remove vBulletin from your server.
    - Owned license: You buy the right to use vBulletin with no timelimit.

With both licensing models you get 1 year of updates (with the owned license you will always be able to redownload any vB version that was released while you where in your 1 year Support and any updates to it) and Support. With the owned license you can at any time buy a new year of Support of $30.

Additional you can buy:
    - Professional Installation: vBulletin Staff will do a basic installation on your server for you.
    - Branding Free option: Give you the right to remove the vBulletin copyright from all visible pages

vBulletin don't offer hosting. You will have to select a host yourself. The plan you will be needing will depend greatly on the forum:
    - The number of visits a day
    - The number of posts
    - The content (a lot of images/downloads?)
    You can look for some suggestions and experiences from ither members with a host in our Hosting forum.
    Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
    Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

All i can say, if your forum will be HUGE, like a million posts around. Get a few gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Austin
        All i can say, if your forum will be HUGE, like a million posts around. Get a few gigs.
        lol yes a few gigs. Well I hate to inform you, however my forum only has 130 members and we use "a few gigs". I would suggest starting out on a shared hosting plan (just to make sure everything gets started out good). Once you have over grown a shared hosting account, move up to either a VPS or dedicated server. Once you reach the dedicated server market, things can get quite expinsive. I would suggest theplanet.com for your dedicated server needs. Do your research on your companys.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com

That is a great forum to visit to get advice on hosting.

Comment

Thats putting the cart before the horse as the saying goes. Any reputable hosting company will let you upgrade your plan as your site grows.

Good luck with the site, I know a topic like that will do well
          Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

1&1 Hosting allows each MySQL database to be only 100MB. Even on their $30/month hosting plans.

Comment

Well, a buddy of mine runs an import racing forum and uses HostGator. They look like they have decent plans. Anyone know anything about them???

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Country
                Well, a buddy of mine runs an import racing forum and uses HostGator. They look like they have decent plans. Anyone know anything about them???
                http://www.webhostingtalk.com/search...earchid=518880

Look at those reviews.

(edited)
                Last edited by echo_unlimited; Wed 15th Feb '06, 3:26pm.

Comment

You know that searchid's only last about 30-60 min, and most other people are not able to access them?

Comment

So would that be a bug report, or a feedback/suggestion?

A simple 'save this search' with all the parameters concatenated into a serpentine query URL would be much appreciated.

Comment

Actually I didn't know that =clue less= Yeah it would be nice if those kinda URLS were saved.

Comment

Seems like some people have good results and some don't. Thanks for the links!!!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X