Testing server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing server

How do I use the file vb_test.php to test my server? Would have been helpful with some instructions with the file.

many thanks.

Karen

Upload it then point your browser to the file I imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by Cromulent
      Upload it then point your browser to the file I imagine.
      Thanks for the reply but I have no idea what to do with the presented screen when I do this. PLease see attched screenshot.

Thanks again.

Karen
      Attached Files

Comment

You need to type in the database name and password of the database that you created (or will create) within your hosting packages cPanel / Plesk or whatever screen. Basically login to your hosting package and create and database and user, then just type in the information into that screen. Leave the database server as localhost though.

Comment

Yes I did that but the test failed miserably. Incidently the server (1&1) stated a clear warning as I created the database that it could not be used for chat forum purposes and only allocated a maximum 100MB to the database anyway. Let this be a warning for others hosted on 1&1 servers.

I idiotically bought the full unbranded version of VBulletin so hope I can get a refund. I should have checked everything out first but didn't realise it would be so complicated.

Thanks for trying to help.

Karen

Comment

If a host can't handle a forum, it doesn't sound like a particularly good one to me.

Comment

If your host doesn't allow for chat/forum purposes, they aren't really a host then. Go get a real host so you can expand your site accordingly.
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Generally I am very happy with my server and have not had a single problem with the site since setting it up last July (touch wood). We currently have a very basic Bravenet forum and people just don't post to it, we wanted a place where we could establish a real community and VBulletin seemed to offer just what we required. We wont be making any money on having the forum - quite the opposite - but included it for the sake of our customers (good customer care and all that jazz). I am now considering a separate server just for the forum but obviously don't want to pay out big money for it. Any recommendations? Either that or I'll just scrap the idea and keep the Bravenet forum going - hugely limited though it is.

Karen
                Last edited by KarenBM; Sat 4 Feb '06, 11:04am.

Comment

Well your host either allows or not allow forums on their server. So it shouldn't matter to your host it is a bravenet forum or a vBulletin.
                  Want to take your board beyond the standard vBulletin features?
                  Visit the official Member to Member support site for vBulletin Modifications: www.vbulletin.org

Comment

The Bravenet forum is hosted on Bravenet's own servers

Karen

Comment

My test failed too. BUt it ran well.. Wat host r u using?

Comment

Karen,
                        If you ran the test without creating a MySQL database, it will give lots of errors. If 1&1 uses cPanel and you create a mysql database called forums, then it is very likely that the database name should be karenbm_forums. cPanel automatically adds your username and an underscore to all mysql databases you create. Anyway, vBulletin will hit a wall on your website eventually. You can postpone the inevitable by setting Attachments, Avatars, and Profile Pics to be stored outside the database and by using FullText searching. These will all keep the biggest database 'fillers' out of the database and in folders in your webspace.

1&1 Hosting are idiots for only allowing 100MB of MySQL. And they have this limit even on their $25/month packages. No web host of any quality has such a bizarre non-standard limitation. It sounds like they don't want anyone running forum software on their web servers and they should include that fact in their promotional materials so people can make educated choices. I'd never even heard of a limit like this until 1&1 customers came here having trouble with running vBulletin.

If I were vBulletin, I would take the unprecedented step of putting an announcement notice of Hosts that are not recommended. This would include Yahoo, iPowerWeb, and 1&1.

My forum stats are:
                        Threads: 3,216, Posts: 70,179
                        Data Usage 367.38 MB
                        Attachment Usage 295.43 MB
                        So if I moved my attachments out of the database, my forum would be about 72MB of MySQL. This is after 5 years being on the air.
                        Last edited by feldon23; Mon 6 Feb '06, 5:48am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X