Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting from large UBBthreads forum, several ?s

Hi,

So far I am quite impressed with what I see on the admin demo. I do have several questions, though.

First, we are a very large, active forum using UBBthreads. We have 1.1 million posts, and generally 100-500 people online at any time. Should there be much trouble converting a forum of this size from UBBthreads??

Secondly, we offer anonymous (unregistered, guest) posting on our forums. I know this can be done on vbulleting, and I was able to easily test the forum permissions feature on the demo. However, when I test posting anonymously on the demo, the post screen looks much different than when logged in...there seem to be no choices like at the top of this post box such as font, bold, smilies, etc. Could you help me figure this out?

Another question involves IP logging. We do not normally log IPs with posts on ubbthreads, but if necessary, we can temporarily switch on IP logging, get the IP of a member, and ban them. Then we turn off IP logging. However, the person can still remain banned. I see that there is an easy radio button choice for IP logging/not logging. That's great. However, will the program still hold any bans on IPs once IP logging is switched off again?? I hope I am explaining that clearly.

Sorry for the extensive questions, but the forums are the most important part of our website, and making this switch is a huge step that we want to do carefully!

Thank you!

2. I don't think that Guests can choose a different Editor such as Advanced or WYSIWYG.

They can't get into the User CP (I renamed it to My Settings on my forum) to change this setting.
    And if you set it to WYSIWYG for all Guests, then people with older web browsers would be unable to post on your forum. I nice workaround would be if someone came up with a Plug-in to put a "Switch Editor" button for guests.

3. You can limit who sees the IP addresses of users by usergroup. I think IP bans still work with IP logging turned off. Also, I think even with IP logging off, each user's account still has their latest IP address listed in the Admin control panel.

Comment

1. You should have no problems assuming the UBB data is on the same server as vB.
      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X