Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using my licenced copy of vB to build a site before purchasing another licence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using my licenced copy of vB to build a site before purchasing another licence?

Hello,
    I already have a licenced version of vB running on a website of mine using a vBadvanced CMS/portal.

I want to build another community based site but create my own portal around it and use vB as the forum software. I'm wondering does it infringe on the t&c to use the licenced copy from my first site to build my second site and then purchase another licence of vB for the second site when it goes live. It will not be available to the public until the second licence is purchased, the whole site will be built and tested locally on my machine.

Thanks.

Originally posted by atlanx
    Hello,
    I already have a licenced version of vB running on a website of mine using a vBadvanced CMS/portal.

I want to build another community based site but create my own portal around it and use vB as the forum software. I'm wondering does it infringe on the t&c to use the licenced copy from my first site to build my second site and then purchase another licence of vB for the second site when it goes live. It will not be available to the public until the second licence is purchased, the whole site will be built and tested locally on my machine.

Thanks.
    From what I have read you can run a test or developmental site as long as it is not viewable to the public.
    ...steven
    www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
    bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
    "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

As long as the second site is not live you are legal
      Home of the free, Because of the brave.

Comment

From the License Agreement:

If you have a valid licence, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our licence verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve. I wasn't sure if that applied to this situation or not.

Another question... If I build the site using the copy of vB I already have licenced for my other site, and then purchase a new licence just before the new site goes live, will it be easy to swop the copy of vB I'll have used to build the site for the new licenced copy?

Comment

You just need to use the files for the new lcense.
            Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
            Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X