X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RichM
    replied
    Originally posted by phillipw
    I have my own website with GoDaddy.com is that what your talking about? Could I integrate it into website? Do not see the need for another domain since I have one already. And yes your posts was extremely informative.I have a forum setup already through a free service but I am considering a more professional approach and was considering using vbulletin.
    Yes, Godaddy is a web host as well as a domain registrar and yes, you could integrate it with your website. With a little HTML knowledge, you could also make vBulletin match the looks of your website too! However, I'd highly suggest avoiding Godaddy if you intend on using PHP scripts such as vBulletin. (PHP = the scripting language that vBulletin is coded in) Godaddy disable many PHP functions, which will make some of vBulletins features inoperative. It doesn't just effect vBulletin either, it will effect many other PHP forums as well.

Godaddy are great for domains, but I wouldn't recommend them for hosting.
    It'd be possible for you to use a different host and use the same domain. I use Godaddy for domains but not for hosting. - In fact, thousands of site owners use separate companies for domains and hosting. (It is no hassle what so ever)
    Last edited by RichM; Thu 2 Feb '06, 5:36pm.

Leave a comment:

• phillipw
    replied
    I have my own website with GoDaddy.com is that what your talking about? Could I integrate it into website? Do not see the need for another domain since I have one already. And yes your posts was extremely informative.I have a forum setup already through a free service but I am considering a more professional approach and was considering using vbulletin.

Leave a comment:

• RichM
    replied
    Originally posted by phillipw
    Hi new here but have two questions.

1). Does the software have to be ran on a server? Second question is a payment question.

2). Will they accept debt cards over the phone?

Any help greatly appreciated.
    Quillz is correct. vBulletin does indeed need to be installed/run on a server. It's the same scenario to a program being run on your computer, you cannot run a program without a computer. vBulletin is essentially a web program, and thus, needs to be run on a web server in order for internet users to access it. - Quite simple really!

You do not need to purchase or rent an entire server to run vBulletin though. Obviously if your forum becomes extremely active and large, you will require a dedicated server. (an entire server all to yourself) You won't need a dedicated server straight away, in fact, you may never need a dedicated server at all. At a guess, the average vBulletin license holder, does not need a dedicated server.

Prior to purchasing vBulletin, you should find a web host (a company that runs web servers and sells web space) There are plenty of web hosts on the internet. If you use vBulletin's search feature (link provided at the top of this page) you will be able to find plenty of advice on finding the right web host for you.

Once you have got an account with a web host, you could then purchase vBulletin. If you are unable to install it yourself, you may be interested in having vBulletin staff install it for you. However, it'd be a good idea to try installing it yourself though.

Hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    I'm pretty sure the answer is "yes" to both.

Leave a comment:

• phillipw
    started a topic To Serve or Not to Serve!

To Serve or Not to Serve!

Hi new here but have two questions.

1). Does the software have to be ran on a server? Second question is a payment question.

2). Will they accept debt cards over the phone?

Any help greatly appreciated.
widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X