Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few questions before I buy (and I want to buy tonight)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keyser520
    replied
    Originally posted by Quillz
    Well, vB's standard features are generally what you'd have to hack into phpBB. Of course, that doesn't make phpBB bad. You have to realize that vB is one of the few BBS solutions you must pay for, and therefore, you should ask yourself if the investment is really going to be worth it. How do you plan to earn the money back? For example, I run my board for fun; I make no money off of it. But the satisfaction I get from running the board is reimbursement enough.

But getting back to features, vB has many, many features that are standard with the stock installation. Like any other solution, you can always modify the stock installation by adding hacks, etc. With 3.5.3, though, the process is simplified with plug-ins. Instead of installing an entire hack, you just upload a single file, and the hack is automatically installed for you. And since it can be turned off via the ACP, you won't lose it when you upgrade. So far, I don't know of any other BBS that offers such a plug-in system, though I don't see why it couldn't eventually be offered.

So, is the vB the best BBS around? It's a matter of opinion. Some feel it's too bloated, others think the more features, the better. I certainly think it's worth $160 for an owned license, though. I recommend you check out the online demo, and also compare vB to IPB, the closest competitor. IPB is another pay-for BBS that is well worth the $185. By comparing both vB and IPB, you can make the best choice.
    thanks for that . I bough vb. Now it's time to figure out how to conert my phpbb forums into vb....

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    Originally posted by Keyser520
    you make a good salesman.

as far as features go, how does it compare? I like the mods, etc, I have on phpbb
    Well, vB's standard features are generally what you'd have to hack into phpBB. Of course, that doesn't make phpBB bad. You have to realize that vB is one of the few BBS solutions you must pay for, and therefore, you should ask yourself if the investment is really going to be worth it. How do you plan to earn the money back? For example, I run my board for fun; I make no money off of it. But the satisfaction I get from running the board is reimbursement enough.

But getting back to features, vB has many, many features that are standard with the stock installation. Like any other solution, you can always modify the stock installation by adding hacks, etc. With 3.5.3, though, the process is simplified with plug-ins. Instead of installing an entire hack, you just upload a single file, and the hack is automatically installed for you. And since it can be turned off via the ACP, you won't lose it when you upgrade. So far, I don't know of any other BBS that offers such a plug-in system, though I don't see why it couldn't eventually be offered.

So, is the vB the best BBS around? It's a matter of opinion. Some feel it's too bloated, others think the more features, the better. I certainly think it's worth $160 for an owned license, though. I recommend you check out the online demo, and also compare vB to IPB, the closest competitor. IPB is another pay-for BBS that is well worth the $185. By comparing both vB and IPB, you can make the best choice.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    www.vbulletin.com/order

Right over there buddy

Leave a comment:

• Keyser520
    replied
    you guys win.

I'm buying....

now, where did I put that cc?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    lol, vbulletin has more default, go try an admin demo

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo

You will be amazed what comes stock

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    Usually everything phpBB has as default, and most of the mods you have, are default in vBulletin.

You can view the full list of features here: http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php

Leave a comment:

• Keyser520
    replied
    you make a good salesman.

as far as features go, how does it compare? I like the mods, etc, I have on phpbb

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    Originally posted by Keyser520
    awesome, so the top bit can be changed to our own logo.

Almost convinced..

Someone tell me why this is the best thing out there...
    Well, considering the fact that support response is usually under an hour for [almost] everything, if not faster; patches/security fixes for exploits are given under 24 hours of notice (even if your license expired for new downloads of new versions, you can still download the patch) free of charge; developers always listen to all suggestions and comment on them where they see the need to; price is very good for what you get.

Not to mention the staff and fellow customers are very helpful in everything, and are even willing to walk you step-by-step if you run into any trouble. Plus the resources at vbulletin.org are also a very big plus, with free hacks, plugins, skins, etc.

It's very hard to find anything similar to Jelsoft's software, support, and services. Can't really beat it.

Leave a comment:

• Keyser520
    replied
    awesome, so the top bit can be changed to our own logo.

Almost convinced..

Someone tell me why this is the best thing out there...

Leave a comment:

• Onimua
    replied
    You can remove everything except for what appears on the footer without paying for copyright removal.

The minimum you can have in the footer is: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Leave a comment:

• Keyser520
    replied
    me again..

If I don't pay the 120 bucks for removal of the vb references, exactly which ones will remain where?

Leave a comment:

• Keyser520
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery
    Yes, yes,

And we take great steps to ensure vBulletins security and our track record for fixing serious security exploits is under 24 hours.

As far as to prevent it, don't upset hackers, don't install modifications that you cannot verify as secure.

What if you already have one of them mad at you?

Do you provide support for installing? You said you didn't offer the service, but do you provide support for questions, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Yes, yes,

And we take great steps to ensure vBulletins security and our track record for fixing serious security exploits is under 24 hours.

As far as to prevent it, don't upset hackers, don't install modifications that you cannot verify as secure.

Leave a comment:

• Keyser520
    replied
    Originally posted by Zachery
    It happens on a vBulletin cron which updates twice an hour, its fairly soon after reaching their level.

Yes ranks are customizable and there are a default set of smilies.

The style that comes with vB by default is the default style here.
    Does it support multiple skins?

Does it allow you to turn OFF post counts in certain forums? I.E. make it so that those forums do NOT raise user post counts, but still count towards the overall site?

Also, how secure is it against hackers? Do you have any tips on preventing hackings?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    It happens on a vBulletin cron which updates twice an hour, its fairly soon after reaching their level.

Yes ranks are customizable and there are a default set of smilies.

The style that comes with vB by default is the default style here.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X