Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few questions before I buy (and I want to buy tonight)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few questions before I buy (and I want to buy tonight)

1. Is it customizable to put adds in it?

2. How long would the conversion from phpbb take?

3. When could you start the conversion?

4. Does it allow for forums that are visible based on post count?

1. You can addon plugins or modifications at your own risk/
    2. This depends on alot of things even a big import shouldn't take more than a few hours
    3. We do not provide an import service.
    4. Via usergroups and promotions yes,

Comment

1) yes. I have adsense in the header and footer.
      2) It took me less than 1/2 considering I was new to vB. You will loose your phpBB hacks and mods of course.
      3) Can't answer that. You can convert it yourself. There are importers. I do believe your phpBB database must be on the same server as vBulletin.
      4) There is a function called promotions. You can promote someone after x posts to be in a custom usergroup. You would set the forum so only those in the usergroup can view the forum.

As much as I liked phpBB, I have never looked back.
      ...steven
      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Can the promotions to the usergroups happen automatically when they reach that post level, just like it does with the phpbb mod I have installed?

Does it come with any smilies and such?

Rank icons, I presume, are customizable?

What about skins?

Comment

It happens on a vBulletin cron which updates twice an hour, its fairly soon after reaching their level.

Yes ranks are customizable and there are a default set of smilies.

The style that comes with vB by default is the default style here.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
            It happens on a vBulletin cron which updates twice an hour, its fairly soon after reaching their level.

Yes ranks are customizable and there are a default set of smilies.

The style that comes with vB by default is the default style here.
            Does it support multiple skins?

Does it allow you to turn OFF post counts in certain forums? I.E. make it so that those forums do NOT raise user post counts, but still count towards the overall site?

Also, how secure is it against hackers? Do you have any tips on preventing hackings?

Comment

Yes, yes,

And we take great steps to ensure vBulletins security and our track record for fixing serious security exploits is under 24 hours.

As far as to prevent it, don't upset hackers, don't install modifications that you cannot verify as secure.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
                Yes, yes,

And we take great steps to ensure vBulletins security and our track record for fixing serious security exploits is under 24 hours.

As far as to prevent it, don't upset hackers, don't install modifications that you cannot verify as secure.

What if you already have one of them mad at you?

Do you provide support for installing? You said you didn't offer the service, but do you provide support for questions, etc.

Comment

me again..

If I don't pay the 120 bucks for removal of the vb references, exactly which ones will remain where?

Comment

You can remove everything except for what appears on the footer without paying for copyright removal.

The minimum you can have in the footer is: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
                    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

awesome, so the top bit can be changed to our own logo.

Almost convinced..

Someone tell me why this is the best thing out there...

Comment

Originally posted by Keyser520
                        awesome, so the top bit can be changed to our own logo.

Almost convinced..

Someone tell me why this is the best thing out there...
                        Well, considering the fact that support response is usually under an hour for [almost] everything, if not faster; patches/security fixes for exploits are given under 24 hours of notice (even if your license expired for new downloads of new versions, you can still download the patch) free of charge; developers always listen to all suggestions and comment on them where they see the need to; price is very good for what you get.

Not to mention the staff and fellow customers are very helpful in everything, and are even willing to walk you step-by-step if you run into any trouble. Plus the resources at vbulletin.org are also a very big plus, with free hacks, plugins, skins, etc.

It's very hard to find anything similar to Jelsoft's software, support, and services. Can't really beat it.

Comment

you make a good salesman.

as far as features go, how does it compare? I like the mods, etc, I have on phpbb

Comment

Usually everything phpBB has as default, and most of the mods you have, are default in vBulletin.

You can view the full list of features here: http://www.vbulletin.com/features.php

Comment

lol, vbulletin has more default, go try an admin demo

http://www.vbulletin.com/admindemo

You will be amazed what comes stock

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X