Licensing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licensing Question

I'm no newbie... I bought my first vB license YEARS ago, and now I have several... But here's my problem....

at vB.org, i'm discussing releasing a lite version of a "Groups" extension... This provides the same thing Yahoo Groups does.

One of the features of this extension is that when a user creates a "group", it creates a "top level" private forum (via access masks) and gives the group owner full control over that forum (i.e. creating child forums, moderation, etc.). This top level forum is ONLY viewable by the group members. However, strangers can't just come in and create groups with a separate userbase. You have to be a registered user of the forum. basically, this is just "usergroup" toys. Also, it operates on one domain. yourdomain.tld/groups/groupname

One of the mods over at vB.org claims that the forum owner will need a separate vB license for EACH group created.

Can someone from vB please give me some feedback on this? I know this is sometimes a tricky question to answer.

Thanks

I think a bigger problem is that your going to run into a problem with the license agreement. This particular statement in the License Agreement is going to be the biggest challenge:

The Software is licensed only to you. You may not rent, lease, sublicence, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of Jelsoft.
    ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
    Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Here's a screenshot
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh
        I think a bigger problem is that your going to run into a problem with the license agreement. This particular statement in the License Agreement is going to be the biggest challenge:

The Software is licensed only to you. You may not rent, lease, sublicence, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of Jelsoft.
        Hmm... I dont think that allowing exising forum users to create their own usergroups is a violation because the "joinable usergroups" functionality is already in there, though very basic. Also, hidden forums and access masks are also part of the stock vB installation. this is tricky.

Comment

The key thing is that if you were using stock code, that's a different story. The fact that you are using a hack to approach this is the key element in question, which can directly challenge the above.
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Idunno... the way I understand the agreement, its pretty much domain based, that the real issue is when people use multiple domains to point to different content.

Comment

My suggestion is ot continue this discussion with the sales team.

[email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X