Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    If you store attachments in the file system, you could download them all from there too which would make dl'ing 75 of them alot easier.

edit: can you deny downloading of attachments in a specific forum? That might also work if you want to take the one thread approach.

OT but I hated blackboard as well but I liked the online interaction. I felt blackboard was so limited from a user perspective compared to what I am used to with vb.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Get multiple files? Download or Attach? Both are simple, downloading them, requires licking on the links, and attaching them is done via secetcing the files via multiple inputs.

You could have a specific forum where students submit their papers and not be able to see others created threads or responses, but you could see everything.

Please, swich away from blackboard, I HATED IT! I know your users will probally love vBulletin because of the ease of use.

Yes, you can add multiple calendars to get your described effect, users can have their own private calendar (1 additional calendar besides the main) where they can keep their own appointments and ates private. As well as a regular calendar that you can manage, add things, and people could subscribe for reminders.

Leave a comment:

• jayhawksean
    replied
    Okay, more exploring and a new questions arises. I like that users can attach files to a post. How easy is it to get multiple files as the administrator?

Let me provide an example . . . If I had my students submit a paper (.rtf) and I created a thread just for students to submit their paper, can I turn off of the ability for other students to see papers by other students? And, how would I go about downloading all 75 papers?

I ask this question because I currently use Blackboard, which is provided by my university for file management. I'd love to drop BB, but I need a place for students to submit files and a place that allows me to quickly get all of the files. Since vBulletin allows files to be uploaded, I figured I'd ask.

EDIT: Oh, I love the calendar. Can I add stuff to the calendar for all users to see on their calendar? Can students add to their calendar and keep it private? TIA.

Leave a comment:

• jayhawksean
    started a topic phpBB user thinking of switching

phpBB user thinking of switching

I teach at a public university in michigan. I currently use phpBB forums each semester and I have about 70 - 75 students per semester using my forums. Pretty light use. That's the background. Oh, I've used phpBB forums for many, many years now.

--------
    1st issue -- Management of Discussions

However, I have 7 groups set up. Each group has a forum with identical threads that I start each week. My students participate in their discussions each week and at the end of the week I close the thread topics and start new ones. I spend a great deal of time posting the same threads in each forum and then in closing those discussion topics at the end of the week.

Is this something that is automated or easier in vBulletin?

--------
    2nd issue -- Grading Students

in phpBB, I can click on a list of members and see all of my students. I can click on a student's name and view all user posts. Actually, I see a snippet of their posts in a long list. If I need to see more than the snippet, I then click on the link provided and I can see the complete post in the original thread. Is this possible in vBulletin or might it even be easier in vBulletin.

EDIT: I just tested this issue on this forum and it is very much like the phpBB forums. That's good.

--------
    I may have more issues as I think about things. The last thing I'd want to do is lose features I rely on, so I'll have to think about things I probably take for granted with phpBB.

I have fiddled with the Admin tools in vBulletin, but only briefly. I'd rather have some questions answered before I spend meaningful time playing. I would have to have a significant reason for switching (e.g., saved time) to justify using my paltry teaching salary to upgrade from free.
    Last edited by jayhawksean; Wed 1 Feb '06, 8:09am.