Large # of boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Large # of boards

We're looking to set up a large number of boards. Topics will be for 50 major US cities and then for states.

So we want to set up something like this:

New York City
    General
    For Sale

Buffalo
    General
    For Sale

New York (state)
    New York City (point to New York City forums)
    Buffalo (point to New York City forums)
    General
    For Sale
    Syracuse

So we have main -> city -> topic (for major cities)
    main -> state -> city (for smaller cities)

We've been looking pretty seriously at MyBB because it's fast, attractive plus it's open source and not subject to licensing issues.

However, the combination of vBulletin + vbseo is very interesting for people who are not doing this for free (yes, we've heard of craigslist).

My question is this: if we have 75 major cities with an average of 4-5 boards plus 50 states with another 4-5 boards each, is this going to be a problem with 1 license for vBulletin? Given that we're talking around 500 forums.

You should be okay with around 500 forums. It's when you get above 1000 forums that things may start to slow down.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol
      You should be okay with around 500 forums. It's when you get above 1000 forums that things may start to slow down.
      Thanks for the quick response.

One more question: we get to 500 forums. Rather than run into trouble, we buy another license for vBulletin. Can we "move" California, Texas and Florida to the new installation? So all the posts move over?

Can the two forums share user information? So that somebody from Los Angeles can post in the Las Vegas forum without having to re-register?

I know that vBulletin has multiple domain licenses but in looking at http://www.vbulletin.com/faqsales.php and http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/moving_servers and other docs it wasn't clear that there could be shared authorization.

I understand that what we're doing isn't a typical installation. It may not even be a good idea. But it's what we want to do.

Thanks again.

Comment

'Shared authorization' requires modifying the code. We cannot officially support code modifications or forums running modified code, however you can try searching or asking for help with this over at www.vbulletin.org.

You can use the Impex system to import data from one board to another. You can do this, then delete the extra forums and posts you don't want.

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

And I thought 100 forums is a bit too much lol.

Comment

If you purchase bulk we can offer you a bulk discount. Just perhaps something to keep in mind.

And yes, you can use our impex script to move data from one vb forum to another. But it is a bit drastic and I recommen to set it up properly from start on rather then having the extra work afterwards with many many forums.

Comment

Can you explain why that is, and how bad it slows down? Is it due to access masks? does vB2 (I know! it's a classic) experience the same difficulties?

Comment

Why?

--I don't know. Other than the fact the this requires a lot more server resources I do not know the specific details.

How bad?

--This depends on the server and how busy it is. There is no one-answer-fits-all to this.

Access masks?

--I don't know for sure but I seriously doubt that access masks is the major cuplript.

vB2?

--I don't know. Sorry.

Steve Machol Photography

Comment

vB2 didn't have access masks if I recall. Just usergroups. And you didn't have secondary usergroups so if you have 3 areas of the forum that you want to grant certain permissions to for certain users, you had to create NINE usergroups. Imagine 9 forums that you want different users to have access to differently, that's 81 usergroups.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X