X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long words in Posts (more than 50 chars) get space inserted

Hello,

hope that I my question is in the right place here.

I noticed that very long words get "broken up" by inserting a blank after each 50th character; if you cite the post your will see that in the editor the cited text appears without these blanks.

I suppose that such long words go into the database unaltered but are "broken up" at output time this way not to break table design and force people to scroll horizontally.

Is this behaviour configurable ? I didn't find anything in the documentation about it and I really tried to. But then it might be just my sore eyes. :-)

This should be preferably configurable per subboard.

Brief example:

(Typed 59 digits above without a single blank between them)

Kind regards,

Djamil

Yes, its standard option, its used to keep people from making insanely long strings of text that break the site layout.

Comment

Hi Zachery,

thanks for your quick reply. Will I be able to switch this off or alter the given char limit for the whole forum or even single subboards ?

TIA for clarifying,

Djamil

Comment

It is a global option, but it may be possible to change it to a per forum option via hooks/plugins or code modification.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery
          Yes, its standard option, its used to keep people from making insanely long strings of text that break the site layout.
          Totally understandable, however - wouldn't a word wrapping function prevent that? such as:
          Code:
          <td>
          <p align="justify"> <?= $Post; ?> </p>
          </td>
          To be honest, I haven't tried inputting long characters of text - but it is a good security measure to prevent this

Comment

Originally posted by TheDon-VBB
            Totally understandable, however - wouldn't a word wrapping function prevent that? such as:
            Code:
            <td>
            <p align="justify"> <?= $Post; ?> </p>
            </td>
            To be honest, I haven't tried inputting long characters of text - but it is a good security measure to prevent this
            Uh, I don't understand what you are getting at?

Comment

I jumped the gun, I should of tested the code - but yeah, now I see what you mean after attempting multiple versions of word wrap.

Sorry for the confusion, it's just I'm sure I solved this problem in the past with nothing more than HTML coding (unless it was PHP or MySQL ).

Comment

Shouldn't this be in the appropriate support forum?
                So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

To get vB support on these forums you first need to be a licensed customer and register for Priority Forum Support. To do this, please go here:

http://members.vbulletin.com/membersupport_priority.php

...and enter your email address in one of the boxes. You'll need to have your customer number and password to access the page.

Once you've done this, please post in the appropriate support forum for your version.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X