Unsure about buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unsure about buying

Hey all. I'm a moderator of a small band forum, and I made a thread in the mod forum about upgrading to vBulletin. I told the administrator about all the benefits of this software - I go on forums that use vB.

My questions are:
    • What is the best package for us? As I say, we are currently a small community of 68 members.
    • What else do we need to get as well as the licence - and naturally - the software itself? The administrator owns web hosting. I was thinking he could upload vB onto that?
    • Is it possible to transfer the current Invision Free forum onto vBulletin? We don't want to loose any thread and member information.
    Thanks in advance, Josh

EDIT: Oh yeah, I apologize if this is the incorrect forum to put this in. Feel free to move it if this is the case.
    Last edited by Wish; Thu 12 Jan '06, 2:02am.

If you feel your website will be requiring a forum for over a year or so, then I suggest purchasing an owned license. An owned license will give you access to 1 year of updates after that your download access expires, you may however continue to use the software and pay an additional $30 for another years of download access.

Leased licenses are licenses for the vBulletin software for one year, after this year passes you may either renew your license or remove the software from your site.

You can upgrade a leased license to owned license within 30 days for an additional $85 thereafter it is the full price.

To use the software you will need to have PHP and MySql installed on your server, there is a test script availible to check for system compatibility before you buy the software. You can find this here.

The reccomended specification is PHP 4.4.1 or 5.0.5 or later MySQL 4.0.26 or later
    using Solaris, Linux, BSD, Windows, Mac operating system (this is server operating system)

Jelsoft Ltd have also created a script to allow the easy transfer of data between different forum software to vBulletin the boards supported are listed below.

ASPPlayground 2.4.3
    DCFm 1.27 (MySQL)
    MyBB rv4
    OT 4.0
    PNphpBB 2
    agora 4.1.7
    allaire 0.0
    bbBoard 2
    beehive 0.5
    cutecast 2.x
    deluxeportal 2.0
    digipost 2.0
    discus_file 4.00.6
    DiscusWare 4 Pro tabfile (requires the tab back up file, users.txt and the admin_dir.)
    discuz 2.5
    dotnetBB 2.42
    e107 0.617
    encoreII 2
    freethreads 0.0
    fudforum 2.x
    fusetalk 0.0
    geeklog 1.3.10
    ikon (mysql) 3.x
    jiveforum 4.0.0
    maxportalweb 0.0
    megaBBS 1.69-2.1
    mercury 1.1.4
    mytopix 1.2.3
    openBB 1.0.7
    oxygen 1.7.x
    phorum3 3.4.8
    phorum5 5.0.16
    phpBB2 2.0.17
    phpBB1 1.4.x
    punbb 1.1.5
    simpleboard 1.0.4 |
    siteframe 3.1.8
    sitenetbbs 2.0.3
    thwboard 3.0
    tritaniumbb2 2 Alpha 7
    trollix 2.0
    trubb 1.1
    ttcms 3.1
    txt_file 0.0
    ubb_classic 6.3 - 6.7
    vBB 1.0 RC 1
    vblite 1.0
    wBB 2.3.3
    webcrossing 0.0
    webwiz 7.9 (MSSQL and MySQL, access databases need converting to MySQL, contact Jerry)
    wowBB 1.63
    xmb 1.9
    xoops 2.0
    yabb se 1.5.5
    yahoogroups (mail text file) 0.0 http://www.pgoffline.com/downloads.htm
    yahoogroups (access database ) needs http://www.pgoffline.com/downloads.htm and access to MySQL conversion.
    zeroforum 2.1.0

You could additional contact Jerry or the vBulletin Support team to see if a different version could be supported.

Hope this helps

Jin
    Last edited by Jinovich; Thu 12 Jan '06, 3:23am.

Comment

That's excellent. Thanks a lot. It's really cleared up a lot of concerns I had about it.

It's appreciated.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X