Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Discus' user thinking of transferring to VB. some questions, though...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Discus' user thinking of transferring to VB. some questions, though...

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a vBulletin licence for our club forum. www.volvo300club.nl

Currently, we are running on some very, very crappy board software:
    http://www.volvo300club.nl/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

It is a Discus Professional 4.00.8 (build 1.04.00.065) installation.
    (despite the 'professional' in its name, this is quite amateuristic software...)
    We have 14122 messages in 1284 threads under 26 topics.

I guess that is considered a 'small' forum??

We are ready to leave the smelling heap of rubble named 'discus'. HOWEVER, there is no way in hell we are going to start over again with our posts. Our forum is kept quite clean, so nearly all the messages are considered useful backlog.

So, one of the main reasons to be interested in vBulletin software, is the 'ImpEx' system, wich is said to be able to import most of the content of a discus (file based) forum into a vBulletin install.

Unfortunately, I see _a lot_ of problems with the impex system being posted to the impex support topic.
    I would like to know a few things before I start raising funds for the licence;

- is it better to wait untill there is an importer for the discus_SQL setup??
    (if so, can I help out developing it??)

- how about the attachments (read a message from someone who did a discus import that there were only links to the attached files, the files themselves remained in the discus file structure)

- how about the user details? Our discus install has custom user details, would hate to lose those (especially their V3C member number)

I am willing to provide a full backup of our forum, either at mySQL or file based setting, if that is of any use to you.

I noticed that the discus_file importer was written for version 4.006 but I think it does not matter. (upgrade to 4.008 finished only halfway anyhow..thats what you get with crap software )

Hoping to get a serious reply,

Greetings Wouter (antiekeradio)

Moving will be the best thing you do this year, we did it a few weeks ago. Firstly, is there an ImpEx script for your old board. I had a problem with the script moving my board but it was fixed quickly.

The only part of the old board that was not moved were the attachments, maybe because of the way they were set up in the old board in a filesystem and not in the database. This is not a problem. The more important ones I manually inserted into the threads, the others I left in their original folder in the old board set up. They all have links from the threads to them so they can still be seen.

Don't be put off by problems that some others have had, give it a try, you won't regret the change.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Isaac
      Moving will be the best thing you do this year.
      I certainly hope it will be!! what board software did VOC use before?

Originally posted by Bob Isaac
      Firstly, is there an ImpEx script for your old board.
      Yes, I think there is. Will have to change the configuration of our board to 'text file based' but that can be done in a few minutes.

Our attachments are also stored in a file system. I hope it works out the way you describe, that way we could delete all files in the file structure except the attachments themselves. (especcially those very large HTML files for every page....) As the attachments are in the same file system as the HTML's, that will be quite a task, but it can be done.

apart from this discussion; how about the avatars? (perhaps someone from the vbulletin team can answer this, as I believe it is importer-specific??)

Greetings Wouter

Comment

Our attachments are also stored in a file system. I hope it works out the way you describe, that way we could delete all files in the file structure except the attachments themselves. (especcially those very large HTML files for every page....) As the attachments are in the same file system as the HTML's, that will be quite a task, but it can be done.
        If they are all in one folder then just leave that one and delete all the other board files, but leave the directory structure intact.
        I certainly hope it will be!! what board software did VOC use before?
        We used DCForum+ 1.27 which was PHP/MySQL
        how about the avatars?
        If you keep them all in one directory then just move them to /images/avatars directory in vB and then use the admin CP to install them.

You will need to read the instructions a few times as there is so much, but be sure to back up all your old board first, just in case. We are getting 30-40 new members a day now with vB.

Are you going to Utrecht for the Volvo Beurs fair in September, I may go as I didn't go last year.

Bob

Comment

yesterday I finally completed the buying of the vb licence for V3C

(took a while to get the money, make it available trough paypal etc)

already installed the board, that went really quick and sophisticated

i'm going to steam right ahead for the dutch language pack and I think I'm going to check out this Impex system soon enough, too

greetings Wouter

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
          Working...
          X