Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• License query.

Hi there,

I have a licensed version of vbulletin that I have been using for a few years now. Recently I started a new site and I'm thinking of installing another forum on the new site.

Anyway, I've been developing the new forum on my local machine using the licensed copy for my other site. I'm just wondering, can I use the mysql db from the licensed copy that I have been developing and just overwrite the files with a new license when I buy one, or does the db also store the license?

Yes, the license agreement allows you to set up a test board:

"If you have a valid license, you may set up an additional test forum in order to test code, template and database modifications. To make this clear to us and our license verification procedures, place it in a directory called 'testvb' and be sure to password protect it. It must not be accessible by the general public."

Once you get another license and want to go live, just overwrite the files with the ones from the new license.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thanks Steve, so does this mean I can still use the database created with the original license? Because I don't want to spend hours developing all the templates then find out that I can't use that database due to license issues.

Comment

Yes, you can continue to use the existing db.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Great thanks.

Comment

Before I do this I need to know.Me and an admin at my site bought a domain and hosting for a store.We have decided to use vB instead of me making it from scratch.I am waiting on my taxes but want to get started.Can I install vB in a directory named testvB and do all the coding etc. as long as we are the only two with access.When I get the $ I can buy the license and overwrite?Also,If I can to this does these same things apply to vBadvanced products etc.?
            Last edited by Elite_Admin; Wed 5 Apr '06, 10:40pm.

Comment

As the license agreement says, you can set up one test board. Where you set that up is your choice, as long as you make sure that it's not publicly accessible and it's in a folder named /testvb/.
              So as long as you don't open your forum, you can do this.
              You'd have to ask at vbadvanced.com how they handle this.
              Best Regards
              Colin Frei

Please don't contact me per PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin F
                As the license agreement says, you can set up one test board. Where you set that up is your choice, as long as you make sure that it's not publicly accessible and it's in a folder named /testvb/.
                So as long as you don't open your forum, you can do this.
                You'd have to ask at vbadvanced.com how they handle this.
                I'll be honest.All I really NEED is vB up and installed.Thank you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X